Mounting flat on mat or foam board

After pulling what little hair I have left out, trying to deal with ink jet printing and mounting photos, I have the photo lab, in my case White House Custom Color print and mount my photos on 1/4" foam board.

A 12x18 Luster print is $6.30 and mounting on matboard is an additional $8.55. Mounting on 1/4" foam board is $11.25 - free shipping and no tax. Not worth the hassel for DIY.

I haven't done it in a while, but I used 3M Spray Mount to mount photos to a board. There are a number of techniques mentioned at the bottom of the link you posted that will do what you want.

On occasion in the past, I have mounted images on foam boards. For a couple, of photo contests, they have specified the size of the image, and also the maximum size of the mount board. I used Photoshop to overlay the image on the over sized mount board, and added an appropriate boarder. Then I printed the new image with the boarder on the desired size foam board, glued it to a foam board, and trimmed the board.

The other contestants matted or double matted their images. Although my display approach was clean, simple, highlighted the images, I suspect, this approach did not enhance my chance of winning.

I guess nobody read the attached /linked file on how it should be done. I have always subscribed to these practices.

Linen tape or archival corners, and proper matts are avail from Light Impressions. Matts are different for black and white fiber and RC too.

Make you redo easy.

If someone wants to make a print glued down for a contest, just consider it a throw away.

There are cold-press adhesive sheets designed for mounting artwork, but I recall they are somewhat expensive. I don't have a link handy. I recall there was a thread over on the Luminous Landscape printing forum about this.

I used to do a lot of dry mounting, back in the old days, and I still have my tack iron and dry mount press somewhere. But I think that is probably an obsolete technique, and I would use the spray mount stuff nowadays.

-- Russ

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom