1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Movin on up......

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Whitecapwendy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Today, I dove in and joined the rest of you D300 owners. Still getting used to it, but here are some of my first feeble attempts

2745579118_b435fda6b9.

2744741555_ea04dfddd4.

I am not happy with the composition of this one, but not sure I want to crop it more.
    2745571698_1d50ee3279.

2. I just got mine a little over a week ago, and am still trying to figure things out. Welcome to the club. It's an awesome camera for sure. Best in it's class IMHO. I guess it's time to update your sig line, huh?

3. oops, I guess it is time. I had the guy at the camera shop show me the basic differences (set up totally different from my D80) I can tell right now that I am going to love the burst mode. The 6-7 fps is much much better than 3 fps. I may even start using that mode.

4. Get the MB-D10 grip if you really want to bump up the burst mode. Just remember that you won't get all those frames per second with AF tracking trying to keep up with your subject. The D300 is good, but it's not THAT good unfortunately. But, it still beats the D80's speed for sure. The burst mode is good if the subject is sitting still (like a baseball batter or golfer) or if the subject is moving along the focal plane. If the subject is moving toward you, you'll notice your frame rate dropping while it tries to keep up. Might I suggest Thom Hogan's D300 user guide if you want to dig deep and really get it set up for you.

5. thanks for the heads up on that. What I would use the burst mode for most would be the pitchers wind up and delivery, and a slide into the plate by a runner--perhaps swing of the bat. The guy at the camera shop told me he pretty much keeps his ISO at 400 with good light. I will definitely be trying it out.

6. I keep mine on 200. No sense adding any grain if it's not needed. If I'm shooting something, and need a certain shutter speed, I'll activate Auto ISO to allow it to set the ISO to whatever it needs to be to keep my shutter speed where I need it. Just remember if you use auto ISO, you lose the ability to add exposure compensation manually since the camera tries to override your settings with the auto ISO. One of the few little programming quirks Nikon has yet to correct.

7. wendy...
    AWESOME ACQUISITION

that is awesome
    congrats
    nice shots

can't wait to see more

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.