Moving focus point on z7

On all DSLR I have owned I lock the focus point after selecting where I want it (usually the center.) Using the Z7 is driving me crazy in this regard. I know I cana't lock it but I must be doiong something wrong because it moves all over the place. It must be something I am doing. I take the camera away from my eye and the point is not where I eft it. I shoot for a while and notie the point is not where I had it.

Is this a common problem? Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

(I love the camera in all other ways.)

Page 88 of my Z7/Z6 User's manual:

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 07.38.56.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
That doesn't do anything Nick. Wait .... both the sub-selector and multi-selectore control focus points. How can I get the multi-selector not to control focus points? Maybe that is the problem.

Well,
Hmm. It works and it doesn't work. With the D810/850 and others, tehre was a physical lock; set it and nothing could move the focus point. With the Zs, it locks focus but not the focus point, your can move the focus point with the joystick, multi selector or the screen.

I have my joy stick set to centering the focus point.

Real Name
Chris
That is the problem. I could not use the camera this morning (tripod - 800 mm lens with adapter) without accidentally moving the focus point.
Just a guess here, but do you have the camera setup to disable the touch screen when you put your eye up to the EVF? Perhaps it’s enabled still so your touch focusing accidentally when you put your face up to the EVF. I would check that setting first and then if that doesn’t help disable touch focus on your screen.

Touch screen has been disable since about day 5. That was driving me crazy. I think I will have to aways use a DSLR with a long lens if only for its size -- unless a Z7 comes out with a focus lock switch.

Thom Hogan's book has a bit more information on exactly what it is those options do:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom