Moving into the 21st Century...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retief, Dec 14, 2005.

1. So, I am driving along the A14, on my way from Kenilworth to Cambridge this morning listening to BBC Radio, when who should I here but my old buddy Paul Simon, singing that Kodachrome song. And a thought struck me, dangerous when I am already driving on the wrong side of the road :wink: , about how out-of-date this song is, and I'm sure there are many others.

So, "Don't Take my Kodachrome Away" just makes no sense anymore. I think we should send a petition to Paul to update the lyrics, but I am not quite sure what fits best:

"Don't Take my CF Away...."
    "Don't Take my SanDisk Away...."

Can't quite make up my mind, what do you all think? At least the Nikon Camera reference is timeless :biggrin:

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

How about, "Don't take my digit away...." :Shocked:

3. THAT would be song for a New York Cab Driver, I think.......:Shocked:

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Don't be fooled Bill. Kodachrome is as cool as ever! K'chrome slides will still look great when there are no devices nor software to read CF cards left.

5. After the EMP blast to win the war over the machine world ;)

6. C'mon Chris, K'chrome won't FIT in a cell-phone for crying out loud :wink: , and besides that, I always preferred Ecta myself...so much cooler don't you know :cool:

And besides, when there are no more devices left to read CF, there will also be no more devices left to create the chemistry to smell bad, stain everything around you, and develop that K'chrome stuff anyway...:smile: , we'll all just be walking around bemoaning the "old days" when that happens.......:smile:

7. Wait just a ding-dang minute here, the EMP is quite alive and well and living in Seatlle. Darned ugly building in my opinion, but unless something happened in the last two weeks while I have been gone, it should still be blasting away.

Of course you might be talking about that thingy that fries everything with "electr(i)(o)" at the beginning of it, and if you are that screws up the whole film thing anyway, as all the stuff to make the chemistry and the paper are kaput as well. Besides, the old safe light won't work either, and I wouldn't want to work under a whale-oil-lantern with a red cover anyway, although if you had the chemistry anyway you might not notice the smell of the whale-oil :smile:

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The nice thing about a chemical process is that folks can always whip up the chemicals themselves. You mean you haven't mixed up a batch of silver bromide in egg whites and painted it onto a big chunk of rawhide?

But actually I was talking about the inherent archival qualities of Kodachrome slides (much greater than Ektachrome) versus the tenuous nature of electronic storage and reproduction. I have many slides and negatives from the 60's, 70's 80's and 90's, but I have some digital photos from the early 90's that are in a format I cannot read nor retrieve.

And it's a bummer, cause they were really, really good. Well, maybe not (240X160 pixels?)

9. OOOooooo, dont y'all touch that GREAT song now:mad: :mad: I mean, who would think of dressing Mona Lisa in a Versace dress!!??? :biggrin: :biggrin:

10. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    I've got it!

Replace the word "Kodachrome" with "PhotoShop" and it still works.

Same number of syllables, new meaning:

"I've got a Niiiiikon camera and I love to take phoooootographs,
    So mama don't take my Phoooootoshop away."