Moving to the US ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just wondering about the possibility - no promises - but if I decided I liked a lady in Oregon what factors would I have to consider if I were to move there from New Zealand ? :smile:
The health system in NZ has us all pretty well covered , I'm not too sure how it is over there but I would be interested to know what kind of job prospects there would be for an Auto electrician/Diesel fuel technician in that area , what kind of pay and how easy it would be to cover costs of all the right kinds of health insurance etc .

Health coverage by the government? Yeah, not here.

My friend's boyfriend had a car accident last Sunday, he broke four vertebra in his back and two in his neck. No insurance. They sent him home on Tuesday.

As for jobs, that all depends on where in the state.

The immigration process was convoluted at best when I moved there on a marriage visa in 1999, I can only imagine it's murder now post 9/11 :(

Good luck!

JusPlainCrayzee

Administrator
Administrator
Here's a link to the US Citizens and Immigration website. Start with the drop down boxes to your left under 'Where To Start', and try to follow along (I couldn't... :Curved:).

Health care, compared to pretty much any other western country, is expensive and coverage is rudimentary at best. Don't be surprised to pay $500 to $1000 per month on healthcare with a plan that still demands a 25% copay for hospital visits.

On the other hand, getting a driver's license is easy (in the unlikely case that an NZ license isn't recognize you'll have to take a full course to get a DL - all four hours of them) and since you like sploding things, a gun license is likely even easier.

Expect the immigration process to be long and aggravating - somewhere around 2 years, during which you cannot live in the US* (and you might or might not be able to visit). Hiring an attorney is not required but makes life a lot easier.

Oh and we drive on the wong side of the road here... :smile:

dunno anything about Oregon, but you may have to consider where all the big car factories are and go from there too. Even though I'm not fond of the place, TX has a lot of possibilities for your line of work. Good luck in what ever you decide on!

Well if you can find an employer first in the US and they cant fill the position you might be able to get in under the H111b Visa, if I remember that right. Health Care we pay for our own here, but in your field it will be a part of your benefits package, diesel mechanics are always needed in many areas of the states. Especially true if you work on MACKs.

Bend is a GREAT location.

However, the economic crisis hit the area hard.
Unemployment is bad, home prices are very depressed.
Lots of outdoor-loving people taking any job they can to stay in the area.

Great place if you can find work...you'll find fewer nicer places....
Just lots of "ski-bums" fighting for every job.

Uhh..I'd say bring her to NZ. LOL
In hindsight, I would have stayed in Sweden.

The immigration is PIA
The politics here are a bit different to other developed countries. (read cnn or other typical american news sources if you want to see what's going on here).
insurance or not, you might still end up with a debt. Doesn't always cover things.
Without a job and a marriage license you're pretty much going to be forced to go home after 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Linda here. Have her visit NZ and see how things are like there. It'll probably be a lot easier for her to gain immigration to NZ than for you.

It's not impossible. I have seen some immigrated friends finally get their Visa and eventual citizenship, but it is difficult unfortunately.

Linda and the others hit all the high spots.
Health care--you have the right to be sick and to die, or buy expensive insurance that covers little.
Bend, OR--great place for outdoor play, expensive real estate, and not the best for jobs that you seek (Portland may be better).
But-other than that (and a horde of partisan politicians and other bigots) this land- and the NW in particular, is a great place to live. Your habits of blowing things up and playing with guns will be more appreciated, and you can spend money on toys far easier than in NZ!!!!!

Besides, we'd all love to meet ya!

Health care, compared to pretty much any other western country, is expensive and coverage is rudimentary at best. Don't be surprised to pay $500 to $1000 per month on healthcare with a plan that still demands a 25% copay for hospital visits.
Expect the immigration process to be long and aggravating - somewhere around 2 years, during which you cannot live in the US* (and you might or might not be able to visit). Hiring an attorney is not required but makes life a lot easier.
Oh and we drive on the wong side of the road here... :smile:
Thanks for all the feedback guys ! It's more like you are confirming my suspicions than telling me something I never expected to hear :frown:
I've tried driving on the wrong side of the road and it's dangerous so I'm nut surprised there are so many accidents there :biggrin:
By comparison I went in to the doctor last month , a throat infection had worked its way into my lungs . The doctor spent 45 minutes with me , taught me how to use an inhaler for the first time , they gave me the inhaler for free - the visit cost $16 and when I collected the anti-biotics from the pharmacy they cost me $3 .... I asked them if they give discount for cash :smile:

Health coverage by the government? Yeah, not here.My friend's boyfriend had a car accident last Sunday, he broke four vertebra in his back and two in his neck. No insurance. They sent him home on Tuesday.
The immigration process was convoluted at best when I moved there on a marriage visa in 1999, I can only imagine it's murder now post 9/11 :(
Good luck!
Here's a link to the US Citizens and Immigration website. Start with the drop down boxes to your left under 'Where To Start', and try to follow along (I couldn't... :Curved:).
These are the stories that scare me ! :eek:

dunno anything about Oregon, but you may have to consider where all the big car factories are and go from there too. Even though I'm not fond of the place, TX has a lot of possibilities for your line of work. Good luck in what ever you decide on!
My line of work involves repairing Diesel fuel pumps , turbos and injectors so I probably wouldn't need to be near the factories themselves . Also at the work I'm presently in we are one of the few companies overhauling the new EUI's [ Electronic Unit Injectors ] , a while ago an American company phoned us and asked if we could overhaul 1000 Volvo injectors - at the time nobody in the US seemed to be doing that yet ?

Well if you can find an employer first in the US and they cant fill the position you might be able to get in under the H111b Visa, if I remember that right. Health Care we pay for our own here, but in your field it will be a part of your benefits package, diesel mechanics are always needed in many areas of the states. Especially true if you work on MACKs.
Oh no , now you've put me off - I've had to work on a few Mack's here in the past :tongue:
Not only that when they find out what you do in your spare time :eek:
Where in OR?
Bend
Bend is a GREAT location.
However, the economic crisis hit the area hard.
Unemployment is bad, home prices are very depressed.
Lots of outdoor-loving people taking any job they can to stay in the area.
Great place if you can find work...you'll find fewer nicer places....
Just lots of "ski-bums" fighting for every job.
Uhh..I'd say bring her to NZ. LOL
In hindsight, I would have stayed in Sweden.
The immigration is PIA
The politics here are a bit different to other developed countries. (read cnn or other typical american news sources if you want to see what's going on here).
insurance or not, you might still end up with a debt. Doesn't always cover things.
Without a job and a marriage license you're pretty much going to be forced to go home after 3 months.
I'm with Linda here. Have her visit NZ and see how things are like there. It'll probably be a lot easier for her to gain immigration to NZ than for you.
It's not impossible. I have seen some immigrated friends finally get their Visa and eventual citizenship, but it is difficult unfortunately.
Linda and the others hit all the high spots.
Health care--you have the right to be sick and to die, or buy expensive insurance that covers little.
Bend, OR--great place for outdoor play, expensive real estate, and not the best for jobs that you seek (Portland may be better).
But-other than that (and a horde of partisan politicians and other bigots) this land- and the NW in particular, is a great place to live. Your habits of blowing things up and playing with guns will be more appreciated, and you can spend money on toys far easier than in NZ!!!!!
Besides, we'd all love to meet ya!
These replies all confirm my suspicions that I am better off trying to talk her into moving to NZ . The economy isn't amazing here but my work wasn't affected by the recession at any stage besides losing some customers but gaining many more . Over here we are also covered by ACC [ accident compensation corporation ] 24/7 regardless of where you are or what you are doing . A while ago I twisted my back while lifting weights at the gym , it was only 800 lbs but I did it at the wrong angle ;) .
I went into the doctors and the visit cost me $50 in total including return visits and physio and letters they sent me asking if I was ok and advising that they could give me more free treatment if I needed it .
It will be much easier if she came here but she has family there - I am on my own here - but I still think she would be doing herself a favour by moving here .

Thorsten

Oregon is wonderful, my favorite state. Especially since you'd come from NZ and love nature, you'd feel right at home there. Everything is green, thee are forests, rivers, etc. People are more friendly than in some other states.

As for healthcare, don't let anybody scare you. I'm coming from Germany with a public healthcare system of very high quality. Or so I thought while I lived there. Only once I moved here did I learn how inefficient, expensive and mediocre the German system really is, at least compared to the US.

These are the stories that scare me ! :eek:
If you have your ducks in a row then you should be fine. It's a pain in the *** to be sure, but I don't mean to make it sound like it's impossible. I think they probably tightened it up a lot, but when I did it they were really concerned about evidence, evidence, and more evidence. I produced a paper trail a mile long of our personal correspondence, then went and got grilled by a consulate officer for the official interview. It is a small miracle that I managed to pull it off, given how scatterbrained I am ;)

Don't let my story dissuade you though. I'm generally full of hyperbole -- I'm sure it wasn't as bad as I make it out to be. Thousands and thousands of people deal with immigration every year and manage to do it without too much hassle. :)

If you have your ducks in a row then you should be fine. It's a pain in the *** to be sure, but I don't mean to make it sound like it's impossible. I think they probably tightened it up a lot, but when I did it they were really concerned about evidence, evidence, and more evidence. I produced a paper trail a mile long of our personal correspondence, then went and got grilled by a consulate officer for the official interview. It is a small miracle that I managed to pull it off, given how scatterbrained I am ;)

Don't let my story dissuade you though. I'm generally full of hyperbole -- I'm sure it wasn't as bad as I make it out to be. Thousands and thousands of people deal with immigration every year and manage to do it without too much hassle. :)
But I've got my name up all over the internet discussing how to make flash tazers and smoke bombs :frown::biggrin:

Not only that when they find out what you do in your spare time :eek:
That's nothing. I worked in a research nuclear reactor and had a spare chest marked "warning: radioactive material" that I kept random knick knacks in. Well guess who decided that bringing that across the border when he moved to the USA was a good idea?

This guy!

Needless to say explaining that to the border guards was a treat ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom