1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mowani Moonshine

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Ann_JS, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    105_D3S9988_Lunar-eclipsed-Mowani_2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tinstafl

Tinstafl

Aug 6, 2008
    Virginia
    Love this one. It just works.

3. Very nice, good work!

4. Very interesting Ann. The moon, however,seems unnaturally sharp to me.

5. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Allan:

I am thrilled that you found the moon to be "too sharp"!

I shot the eclipse hand-held with a TC-2.0 on a 300mm PF lens with the dangerously low (for that 600 mm focal length) S/S of only 1/250 and at a somewhat extreme ISO 51,000.

It was no surprise that the result was slightly noisy (so I used a little noise-reduction but no sharpening at all in ACR).

However, it was a huge surprise to me that a camera could deliver images like this when mis-used in this way!

6. I'm assuming that this is a composite image?

7. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I either popped up to Mars and shot last week's lunar eclipse from there — or perhaps I might have shot the moon from my driveway in New York State and added it to an other-worldly landscape which I shot one morning at sunrise in Damaraland, Northern Namibia?

8. Just asking..... Whatever.

Frankly, and I realize you probably weren't asking for a critique, but I find all the added-on stuff rather distracting. The moon looks great, though!

9. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    The landscape itself is as it exists in reality.

For me, my moon shot, by itself and floating in a black sky, is just a record of the event and there are thousands of similar equally boring images like that all over the Internet!

The eclipse occurred directly overhead here so there was no way for me to provide context from terrestrial features like people in eastern Europe were able to do

I shot the eclipse for two reasons: firstly to see if I could; but also with the intention of using the red moon as a component in other compositions.

10. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Cool, like the Sc-iFi look.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.