Mpix question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShaunK, May 21, 2007.

1. I just finally signed up for an account at Mpix, and was browsing the site. I noticed that they do not recommend the metallic paper for portraits. What is the reason for that? Because right in the examples they give, they do show people pictures, although, granted, not portraits per se. Has anyone here ordered portraits with the metallic paper? What were the results? Thanks!

2. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Do it, it looks amazing when the sun is on the person in the photo. I did and I loved it.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Depends on the coloring and the lighting
    Call them
    They are a photog friendly co.
    They can tell you

I have seen an entire wedding album printed in metallic.

4. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    you actually cannot call Mpix directly,
    you must inquire via their Contact Us tab on their web page
    They are a GREAT company though
    and the metallic paper is amazing as is their staff

5. I've only ordered two metallic papers, one some flowers that was amazing, 2nd a portrait, that I wasn't as thrilled with.

6. Hmmm. Thanks everyone so far... I just don't want to have to contact them every time I place an order to see if it will work or not...

7. bep207

bep207

Nov 27, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    you should contact them and ask them what kind of photos they suggest using the metallic paper for

8. They do suggest portraits are not appropriate for metallic paper

9. I used mettalic paper for a family portrait...don't know if I would do it again...i have since developed a preference for softer light portaits...the metallic paper does give a very shiny appearance, which you might not like.

I recommend sending one of your best portaits to them to print at say 8x10 size...you'll see if you like it.

10. I accidently printed a 12x18 metallic group portrait shot once, And although the skin tones kind of got smoothed out, I thought it looked great.
    Matte would have probably suited the pic fine, but I didn't find anything offensive in the metallic print, In fact under good lighting it looked amazing, Though I find high saturation pics and high contrast pics are better suited for metallic anyway

11. Jeffx2

Jeffx2

May 2, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    We tested metallic paper for portrait shots. Didn't go over too well with the focus groups. I agree with Lexiticus on the high contrast images. Night shots look great on it. Kind of reminds me of Cibachromes in a way.

12. This is all very informative. I know next to nothing about what type of shot looks good printed on what paper, so I am learnig here. Thanks for all the replies so far. It sounds like those who have actually tried a portrait shot with the metallic paper have agreed that it's not the best way to go.

13. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    I have had a number of portrait and people photos printed on the metallic paper and have had great success with the results. The pics I did were quite colorful and maybe that was why they came out so nice.