Mr. and Mrs Flicker

Hi All,

My Mom is visiting for 10-days so I've had little time to visit the forums, much less shoot.

Brian Small visited me a couple of weeks ago during his swing through Florida to shoot these Flickers and some shorebirds. We had great hopes for this nest and were looking forward to shooting the chicks and their feedings. Sadly, a good friend of mine visited the nest early this week and he found Crows inside the nest. Apparently they ate the chicks and the Flickers were nowhere to be found. A couple of days later his wife found the decomposing remains of one of the Flickers nearby.

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Jose

D200 - Borg 76ED 500mm @ F5.6 - SB600 Flash - Tripod

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I still haven't been able to get a decent shot off at the Flickers that live in my area. This one is excellent. Sad to hear about this year's chick though. :frown:

Excellent photo, sad story. Mother Nature works in mysterious ways sometimes, and it's difficult for us to accept.

It amazing that small birds survive as well as they do as it seems their nests are always a target for some predator. It would be interesting to know the survial rate of a small bird species as we do keep a count on our N.Y. Eagles.
Lou

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom