Mr. Ed

Discussion in 'People' started by greyflash, Aug 25, 2005.

1. This is a picture of a friend taken in my front yard under the intensely bright sky of St. George, Utah. Blown highlights on the white shirt but other than that I thought it was a nice image. Taken with a D2H, 17-55mm and fill flash.

2. Gordon, I think you did a fine job with the fill flash. That's something I'm not very comfortable with. Would you care to expound on some details concerning that? Like what flash compensation values did you use? How do you determine how much to dial up/down? Is it trial and error or does it just come naturally with experience? I don't like the look of outdoor flash, generally speaking, but this is just another fine example of when it works--imo!

3. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Gordon,

Nice Portrait. I like the eye contact which really makes me look into his eyes when I see this image.

I also face the same problems controlling white under intense bright sky. I always choose to let some white blow on the shirts/caps to get a good image. I would rather deal w/ some blown whites rather than noise due to underexposure.

On my monitor, the skin tones look a bit greenish. However my monitor is not calibrated. Shooting under the influence of light going through green foliage always gives me a WB which is a bit greenish w/ my D70. Are you seeing any similar issues?

Best Regards,

4. Thanks Kevin. I had my camera in Manual and dialed in a negative 1 stop of light while metering the background. I wanted the background to be darker than the subject. I used two SB800 flashes in a master slave arrangement and set to TTL. I dialed into the master a -1 1/3 stop and let it control the remote. The remote was off camera left and was shooting into an umbrella, the master was on camera on a RRS perfect portrait bracket with a Gary Fong Litesphere II on it. I purposely shot in this very bright sunlight just to see if I could do it. Normally I would look for some shade or use a diffuser but felt the practice was necessary because of a paid shoot I had the next morning.

5. Thanks Jay, I do have a calibrated monitor but this particular man has some asian blood in addition to being black and his complexion is sort of yellow. On my monitor his complexion is about right but may have a tint to much of green in it. If this were a paid shoot I would have used my Expo Disc to measure the WB.

6. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I like the eye contact too

Like someone else pointed out - the eye contact made there engages me

Nice picture.

7. Thanks Simon, I appreciate your comments.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good job, got a question

Looks very natural Gordon, so you did a good job with it. Jees, I initially thought you were posting a pic of a horse, and accidentally put it in the wrong forum. You do remember the TV show Mr Ed, don't you? :eek:
    My question is this; since the main is normally placed to the side of the subject in the studio, and the fill light is normally adjacent to the camera's position, was your setup done with this in mind or not?

9. I was primarily dealing with bright sun coming from the subjects left and rear. I had him turn and then look back at the camera. This made the umbrella (remote flash) pretty much straight at this body and then with my Lumisphere (master) on camera with a bracket just fill in the left side of the subject. The sun was very bright this day, as it normally is in St. George.

Steve, I do remember Mr. Ed on TV and perhaps that subconsciously influenced the title. thanks for your comments.