Mrs A's outtake from my family portrait shoot yesterday

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    This test shot was taken while I was still trying to get the exposures and the flash right. Thought the Mrs & little Kyle looked great here, but the dad was leaning over & looking down in this shot, so I cropped both him and his daughter who was in front of him out, then tried my best so substitute rippling water where he was. Convincing enough?
    [​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice post work, Steve, if you would not have mentioned what you did, I probably would have missed it. I'm looking forward to viewing more of this shoot when you post them.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks for being the one person to comment on this shot Frank! I appreciate it! Now, if you will, go offer your opinions on the 3 finalists! :biggrin:

4. Hi steve,

It is beautifull shot. But i get the feeling it has a blueish cast. I thought in first instance that the background was sand of a beach. But later i read that is water. You did some good post processing to get out the parts you did not wanted.

Do you find the photo to contain a blueish cast?

5. Hi Steve, I don't know if you could get any more power out of your flash but this would have been good just a bit brighter. The background is about right and your elimination of the father and daughter was only noticeable after you brought it up. I tried playing around with it in PS and found the best way to fix it was to give more exposure separation between the background and subjects. This required the lasso tool to effect this change separately. For the pose it might have been well to get the mother down more so the son does not look like an afterthought.

The above was just offered as a way that this image could have been improved but I did want to say that I like the mothers pose a lot and if there were not so much separation between mother and son it would really be quite nice.