Mrs. Crab Spider catches a Bee!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Jun 26, 2005.

1. She is in the same spot every day and I have been waiting for here to catch something, and looks like she got herself a tiny Bee.

She will use the Bee to draw in other insects, she is an ambush hunter and will use some bait also.

You can see the little hooks on the end of her leg that she will grab the prey with, she is highly venoumous and can take prey much larger than her self.

Goldenrod Crabspider, Misumena vatia
    26177595-L.

Martin

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW what a fierce little monster..

thanks for the info....

Poisonous to humans ???

3. Interesting DOF solution.

You are right, it's amazing how big their prey sometimes is.

4. Every spider is poisonous, but the majority has too small cheliceres ("fangs") to penetrate the human skin. And even if they are large enough, only a handful is dangerous. Mostly, a bite will show up as an irritation or inflamation of the skin.

5. She is very shy and if she notices you watching here she will go and hide, I think there very interesting spiders and I hope I didn't make her sound vicious, she is just good at what she does.

Soon she will lay a nice egg ball like one of these.

13462578-L.

Here is a dof enhanced version, using the techniques from Harry S's tutorial.

26185119-L.

Martin

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    ohhhh much better...

Great shot. Some processing....wow

Have you ever heard of the Brown recluse spider.

They are REALLY BAD BAD BAD.......

Thank you Harry.

Martin, that is all I would need ,a spider watching me :>)))))

7. Great job Martin! I have never tried my own technique on life specimens.

8. And life moves on. Very interesting image Martin and a real story here.

9. Thanks Gale and Harry.

Gale we only have nice spiders here, there are some Black Widows but I have never seen one.

Martin

10. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Link to DOF tutorial please?

11. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. Nice Martin.....You are becoming a Photoshop Master as well it appears.. :)

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Martin,

More great shots. I said after the shot you posted yesterday that I was going bug hunting today, but instead spent the day working in the yard. If the rain stops, tomorrow for sure. :wink:

14. Thanks Mike, master I am not but I can follow instructions and figure things out when I need to.

Martin

15. Wow Martin, I don't know how you managed with a live specimen :!: The spider must be having a good old time sipping the cocktail :wink:.

How many layers did you ended up using?

Great tutorial and technique too Harry, I doubt if I would get the time, patience or equipment to give this a try, maybe one day when I am retired...

Regards,
    Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. Thanks for the comment Gordon and Frank.

Martin

17. Hi Jonathan, I used four layers for this one, I just take a few extra, its handheld so it doesn't always work out.

Martin

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  18. GreenCoal

GreenCoal Guest

Martin:

Thank goodness I am not an insect.

Or I'll have to contend with real monsters all my life!

Thanks for sharing your talent.

19. Handheld - wow! I can imagine that you need many attempts and a lot of patience to get satisfactory results. I guess I have to revise my lines in the tutorial about static subjects :) . I just reread it and I am shocked by the number of typos I made. Have to edit it on accasion.