Ms. Jodie! (Uncropped Version Added)

Discussion in 'People' started by frede, Apr 22, 2007.

1. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thus far, this may be my favorite of Jodie. Comments welcome.

469189521_47da85a750_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2007
  2. Very nice, Fred! I wonder if a little more DOF would have helped: the eyes look a little soft (particularly her right eye), compared to that lucious mouth. Just the same, a great image! :smile:

3. Outstanding job Fred! The right eye (her right) does seem a tad soft (nothing Photoshop can't handle), but still an outstanding job!

Bravo!

John

4. Fred, exceptional! What did you use for fill? Is that a foamcore board I see in the reflection of her eye?

5. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks John. The concept was called "reflections". Reflections, because I had a piece of Plexiglas on a black surface. Here's the uncropped image. The Plexiglas was responsible for the reflection in her eye, as was the key light (47" Octabox/ab800). I also had a 7'x3' panel reflector about a foot away from her right elbow. You can also see the hair-light (36" Octabox/ab400)on her right shoulder and hair. With all this Jibber one could mistake me for someone that knows lighting.......certainly not true. :smile:

469272440_22f9d63237_o.

6. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks very much for your comments Phil. I sharpened it up a bit. :smile:

Thanks much John. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment!

7. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    It's a beautiful portrait Fred and certainly makes for a nice new avatar!! Your skin work here is excellent. Great work!!

8. Great job Fred. I actually like the uncropped version better. The softness of Jodie's right eye is more evident in the crop...

9. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Stuart.

Thank you Keith. I agree, the uncropped image wins.

10. I love the way you retained the skin texture this time... excellent processing, but the eyes seem a tad dull for some reason.

Assuming you created a blur layer, try using the eraser tool set to 50% opacity and 50% hardness and go around the edge of the lips. That will eliminate that hard edge where the lipstick ends and skin begins... I'd like to see that transition a little less abrupt.

I'd also burn in her eyebrows a little... the whole area around her eyes is lacking definition. IMO, of course.

11. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Woody! I see what you are saying - I am going to try what you suggested - need some zip in those eyes.