1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

MSRP for the nikkor AF-S 35/1.8 ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mobeious1, Aug 13, 2009.

1. mobeious1

mobeious1

Oct 24, 2008
    fl
    local shop wants $249.95 is that above msrp

2. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    $199 is MSRP

3. mobeious1

mobeious1

Oct 24, 2008
    fl
    just called them back and he said that he would not sell it for 199 he said he wouldnt not make enought money of the item to be worth selling it for that price... i followed by asking if he was a nikon dealer and he said yes... so now nikon is not giving dealer prices to dealer?

so is it worth 249 since they are no longer avalible? 159.95 for the 50 1.8 from the same shop

4. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    sounds bogus to me. Buy somewhere else at the real MSRP. Let the other companies do what they will.

edit:: could be a volume discount thing. If he only buys 5 he wont get the discount that BH gets when they order 500. If that is the case, than 250 really is that shops price, which is indeed higher than the MSRP, he just cant sell at that price.

5. NO, and while most mfg's don't say that you can not sell something for MORE than msrp it is strongly discouraged.
    MSRPs are set to allow the product to be competitive AND to allow a dealer to make a reasonable profit at the same time. Any Mfg puts a lot of research and marketing dollars into determining what MSRP should be. A dealer charging more for it destroys this marketing and the Mfg's usually don't like that.

I would NOT buy anything from that store EVER and I would send a note to Nikon lettings them know my displeasure!

6. mobeious1

mobeious1

Oct 24, 2008
    fl
    he said he couldnt sell it for 199 and cover overhead he said he would make less then 10%

i think im going to call nikon... sounds fishy.. that store is a nikon dealer i just checked the website

called nikon they said he can charge what ever he wants as long as its not below MSRP

7. mobeious1

mobeious1

Oct 24, 2008
    fl
    well a little update i just called another store about 1hr from me they said they are out of stock in the 35 but can order... i said is there a limit or waiting period since. i know alot of people are out and cant get them... she said nope she can order as many as i like.. so if anyone wants one i can get them $201.60

8. RedTownCats

RedTownCats

Jun 23, 2007
    UK
    Thom Hogan hinted at this in his recent article: Something's Gotta Give (http://www.bythom.com/2009 Nikon News.htm)

"... put another way, the dealer paid more for the item than you paid the dealer, and only by filling out the proper paperwork will get any profit back".​

9. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I've seen them going for $249 elsewhere. Supplies are limited and it's a hot item, hence the markup. Yes, per Thom's write-up also, the brick and mortar stores are getting squeezed on the bottom line so there's some truth to that also.

10. mobeious1

mobeious1

Oct 24, 2008
    fl
    so should i wait the 2-3weeks for the shipment to come in and drive teh 1hr drive to get it for 199 or just get it local for 250

11. OCIR

OCIR

Mar 24, 2009
    MD
    At least they are not selling it for $299.99 like what WALMART did a couple of weeks ago.

12. A.O.M.E.

A.O.M.E.

Feb 1, 2009
    Chicago
    They're overpricing the 50/1.8 also... mine was $119.95, from a Helix.

13. I have a friend who is a Nikon dealer. According to him the margins on bodies and lenses are atrocious and if that's all he sold his store could not survive, so in that sense your dealer is correct. If he is a small store his margin on MSRP would probably be in the neighborhood of 10% (on some items as low as 3%). Normal small store margins for most general items are in the 30-40% range. My friend makes up by having higher margins on accessories and services. This way he survives, not thrives.

That being said, the opportunist who gouges you on a hot item tends to leave a sour taste in my mouth and I would be loathe to do business with him.

14. mobeious1

mobeious1

Oct 24, 2008
    fl
    well he said he has always sold them for 249 .. not just because they are in short supply he is a small store has alot of studio stuff ... but he is the only photo supply store in the area

15. lexdiamonnyc

lexdiamonnyc

Mar 23, 2009
    nj/nyc
    got mine from BH yesterday for $208 shipped:smile:
    if I don't like it, it's going on CL for $250:biggrin:

nah, that wouldn't be right....:wink:

16. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Most local stores in my area mark up their prices
    He's probably right that he won't make any money off the sale as a business

17. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    They are in stock at Service Photo, http://www.servicephoto.com for MSRP $199. I bought one from Service Photo, and they are an authorized Nikon dealer, and they don't overcharge for shipping.

On principal, I absolutely refuse to pay more than MSRP. If dealers aren't making enough money, then they have a problem with Nikon and should take it up with them. Don't take it out on the customers.

18. bobby

bobby

May 30, 2009
    USA
    Couple of days ago Walmart sold it for 199..try walmart online store to check

19. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You can buy it online for fifty bucks less. Do that and save yourself the money. But then in the future, when you go to that store for some accessory you need NOW, and find an "out of business" sign on the door, realize that is just how capitalism works when price is the determining factor.

I have and do buy photo stuff for 10-20% above msrp locally, because local availability is important to me. This is nearing my limit for that though, at an additional 25% over the base price. Fortunately I live in a market where there are several full service photography stores in competition, so the price is kept in check that way. I'll bet your store is the only one in the area?

Maybe wait until the price comes down to move older inventory.

20. mobeious1

mobeious1

Oct 24, 2008
    fl
    walmart is out of stock online and no surrounding areas have the lens

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.