1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Mt. Baker

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by West, Jul 10, 2018.

1. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I took this photo the other day while on a Mountain hike.
    This is a quick and dirty BW conversion, I'm not totaly satisfied with it, and have posted the original photo for you guys to download and manipulate for better/different BW results that may be of interest to others.
    Please post your version here once done. Mt. Baker bw from cypress.JPG Mt. Baker.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    I think you did very well, West.
    It's a difficult image, not much colour or detail between the snow covered tops and the trees in the foreground.
    I don't see much that could be done "better"

3. That's a wonderful vantage point. Here's a little different style for your consideration:

Mt. Baker.
    Ken

1. Adjusted tone curve to increase mid-tone contrast and to move the white point farther to the right
    2. Applied Dehaze tool to the blue area of the mountain and everything below except the foreground trees
    3. Converted in Silver Efex using a red color filter and adjusted its strength
    4. Tweaked the tone curve
    5. Used control points to bring out detail in the areas attended to in Step 2.
    6. Cropped
    This was a really quick down-and-dirty approach. I have no idea why the lower part of the mountain is made up of rectangles. I also didn't attend to the halos I somehow created around the foreground trees.

Mt. Baker-S.

4. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi Mike. Their seems to be a problem with your image,it's very badly pixelated for some reason?
    Mike

5. I already mentioned in my post that I have no idea what is causing that effect. I've never seen it happen before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Sorry Mike. I only red the steps you carried out to process the image. I didn't notice the footnote explaining the problems you encountered!
    Cheers.
    M<ike

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  7. West, what a very impressive shot.

8. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Thanks Louie, give your BW skills a shot with the image.

9. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Like to see your rendition of it.

10. I like the original best. The dark foreground trees stands out from the white highlights of the downtown and Alex Fraser Bridge (?).

11. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Port Mann Bridge. Give this image a try.

12. OK, here is my try. Done in DXO-PL. A few glasses of wine since driving the software and now, so no listing of steps. The mountain pixelates very easily---probably a function of the small image size?

Not particularly good, or even any better than yours.

Mt. Baker_DxO.

13. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Nope, can't be image size. I downloaded the above "blue" file and redid it, this time all it has is: Orange filter, slightly darkened, and border. The original only had a "deep black filter" You guys might be over cooking it.
    Mt. Baker.JPG

14. I agree, overcooking is a problem.

15. Clearly, overcooking is the issue. One reason, however, I left my version as is is that I'd never seen that effect of creating rectangles from overcooking and felt it might be informative to show it to everyone. Having said that, I still don't know exactly what created the rectangles beyond the overcooking.

The characteristic that I like best of both versions by West is that the bridge retains clarity.

16. Yup.

17. West I drove over that bridge just a couple of weeks ago. It was nice to know I did not have to pay a toll anymore. Last time I was over it I got a bill in the mail several months after we used it. I like you first image best. It is sure a pretty view. I bet this would be great at night or dusk as well with the bridge and city lights.

18. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    The new provincial government took away the toll on all bridges, then added a gas tax to make up for it :( 
    Second largest suspension bridge in north america.

19. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    Well working on a jpg sets its limits as to how far you can go. :) 
    This is what I came up with, definitely not "better" than your b&w in post #1, West.

Mt. Baker_DxO-Edit.

I used silver efex, starting from preset high structure (smooth)

sep2-HighStructure_smooth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.