1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Mt Rainier, under the Stars

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by socrdude, Aug 10, 2018.

1. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    some friends of mine, each August we hike to this point on Mt. Rainier, there is rarely another person to be seen. It has a Fire look out that is still, operational, but rarely manned any longer, but that night 3 Rangers due to fire I assume, took up post in the Lookout that illuminated the Lookout Photo 1 is Mt. Rainier under the Stars, and the other is sunset, influenced by forest fires. Lighter Sky Milkyway-Fremont LO 8-2018 (1 of 1).
    Fremont Lookout smokey.
    NIKON D750    14.0-24.0 mm f/2.8    24mm    f/13.0    1/20s    ISO 100

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Glorious is the word that comes to mind when I see these. What marvelous images!

3. Absolutely stunning, Karl. The stuff of dreams!

4. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    Thank you Lyndee and Nick...
    Appreciate the kind comments.
    where you have to stand to get the Lookout in image, is precarious itself as its very rocky, uneven ground, and if you were to stumble back, you could find yourself in unforgiving territory...

5. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Beautiful shots Karl, these are spectacular.

6. Fantastic images...particularly the first one.

Glenn

7. How did I miss these...Glorious is an apt description. I really like the first one. The second is not too shabby as well.

8. MRIMATT63

MRIMATT63

Jan 27, 2008
    Allen, TX
    Amazing pictures !

9. Stunning images with both being different but excellent in their own right.

10. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    thank you for the kind comments... both are at the same location as I am sure you figured out.. one is looking Westerly with the Look out .. and the Stars one is looking towards our Mt. Rainier to capture the Milky way and a plus to have rangers in the look out to turn the lights on. This image, I do stars as one Exposure.. ISO 250, F4, 30 minute exposure-Done. Long Exposure-star Trails (1 of 1).

• Like Like x 3
  11. Absolute perfection!!

12. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Gorgeous and creative - very nice work.

13. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    thank you Terry and Billtils...

14. Stunning images!

15. BLev65

BLev65

Oct 5, 2017
    These are all fantastic... The sunset shot is marvelous as is the image of the milky way. Is the milky way a stacked shot, or was the light in the lookout turned on for the final second or so?

great stuff,
    bruce

16. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    no stacking.. due to the fires in Washington state, there were (3) rangers stationed there in the look out.. so they had the light on as they prepared their dinner and such.

17. Really excellent. I'm afraid Paradise is as high as I can get ... these are a wonderful reminder of what's up the trail.

Thanks!!

Ken

18. Karl these are so well done. I know the area well and really enjoyed seeing these images. How high did you need to be to get above the smoke or were these taken before the smoke settled in?

19. eric d.

eric d.

Apr 19, 2018
    Germany
    Eric
    hello and wow ,
    especially the first two are stunning pictures in my eyes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.