Mt Sukapak, Brooks Range, Alaska

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by SteveK, Apr 6, 2007.

1. SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Mt Sukapak is on the southern slope of the Brooks Range, the northern most mountain range in Alaska, a little over 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle. This was shot at midnight, on summer solstice. Several times, my wife and I have driven up the Dalton Highway (the road beside the oil pipeline to Prudhoe Bay) to spend solstice in the arctic. For those interested, it's a beautiful drive, a bit rough at times (read: it eats tires), and there aren't many services (Yukon River Bridge, Coldfoot, Deadhorse are the only gas stations). There are nice places to camp. After early June, expect mosquitoes until mid August. Arctic tundra can have as many as 10,000 mosquitoes emerging from each square meter.

2. Wow Steve, that is just stunning. The clarity of the water is amazing. Really nice. That was an interesting footnote about the mosquitoes as you would not expect that many in the arctic tundra.
  3. SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Rick, I've been in many parts of the world from the tropics of the Amazon to the high arctic. While there may be more problems with insects in the tropics, as many carry bad diseases, the number of mosquitoes in the arctic is by far the worst I've experienced anywhere.
  4. Steve, that's a stunning shot! The peace and serenity of the place.

I can sympathize with the bug situation. Of course, yours have such a short lifespan that it probably makes them all the more 'vigorous'! :eek: I once stepped outside my truck to get some dawn shots in the Florida Everglades - HUGE mistake. My arms looked like an "Off" bug spray commercial - literally carpeted! and I'd left the truck door open - the truck was full! Raced down the highway with all the windows open :biggrin: just to blow 'em all out. For every piece of beauty in Nature, she throws you a curve ball!
  5. Very cool - reminiscent of Mt. Rundle in Banff. When you say "eats tires" are you referring to heavy general wear or actual tire failure?
  6. SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    The west end of Denali NP can have pretty bad mosquitoes too. My wife used to run a naturalist guiding program for one of the lodges, and I'd fly in in my little plane to visit. When I'd go to leave, the plane always was full of mosquitoes. Open the windows at 150MPH and really blow the little buggers out!

On our last trip north, we went with two friends also driving 4 WD Pickups. One truck had three tires ruined (that driven by a friend who told me that my tires were bad, and that I should have tires like he had! He still hasn't lived that one down!) In the 10 or so trips I've made, I've ruined two tires. The road can be so rough at times that you simply don't feel a flat tire until it's been ruined. If you happen to be lucky, and go right after the road grader has gone through, it can be a nice, smooth 50 mph gravel road. It usually is good up to the arctic circle, as bus tours go that far. The roughest section is generally the last 70 miles to Deadhorse. Since 9/11, it is very difficult to get access to the oil field areas around Prudhoe Bay. I've tried, and been denied each time.
  7. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow what to say
  8. MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Great flow of line here, Steve. Nice colors. Did you use an Grad ND Filter? That reflection is gorgeous. Mike
  9. Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    a mosquito head cover would be a good investment there or full body protection! Nice shot Steve. I've heard the Mosquitos get real bad in far north area.

Apr 30, 2005
    A really beautiful image. Congrats