Mt Washington Cog Railway Steam

Last weekend, I went to the Mt Washington Cog Railway. I used to go there alot years ago, and hadn't been in a while. I saw the General Manager who has always treated me well and was a little surprized he recognized me as we hadn't seen each other in about 3 years. He asked me if I was going up the mountain and I mentioned that I had always wanted to ride in the cab of the steam engine. They are down to one steam train per day ( the first one in the AM) and I don't think it will be much longer until the steam engines stop running there completely. When the boiler overhauls come due, that will likely be the end, I can't see them spending over $100K for something that gets used once/day.
I got my cab ride and though it was like sitting on a moving paint can shaker, I was able to get some decent shots thanks to high ISOs and higher shutter speeds.

No 9 moving up to the loading area
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No 9 Sitting waiting for the ok to leave

Adding Fuel to the fire (burns 2000 lbs of coal on the trip up, hand shoveled)

Engineer Ray at work

Looking out over the tender

The rest; http://www.pbase.com/baywing/cab_ride

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. The book "The Little Engine That Could" was based on these small locos. It took year 2000 technology to finally find a non-steam way to push a coach to the top.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom