Mud Run Racing

I had heard about Mud Runs but had never been to one until yesterday. Talk about deep South country events (polite way of saying Redneck Sport). The mud run "track" is a trough. Vehicles run one at a time against the clock. I had to shoot from the top of a ladder to see into the trough.

http://members6.clubphoto.com/larry512016/3386564/owner-1e4c.phtml
http://members6.clubphoto.com/larry512016/3387266/owner-1e4c.phtml

All Terrain Vehicles had there own race prior to the bubba mud boats.
http://members6.clubphoto.com/larry512016/3387362/owner-1e4c.phtml

Looks like an excellent way to trash a perfectly good truck. 8)

Good action shots though. :wink:

Flew said:
Looks like an excellent way to trash a perfectly good truck. 8)

Good action shots though. :wink:

Lol, I think that these were already trashed trucks probably one step closer to those demolition derbies. Keeper rate here much higher than shooting polo!!

You have really gotten down and dirty for this post Larry. :lol: I have seen this on TV but never in person. You have some great images from the mud pit and one would hope that you didn't get any mud on your lens. I know that my beloved Z71 will never see the inside of a mud pit. :wink:

B

Brew

Nice shots.

Remember before during and after the mud run you have to go on the beer run.....

greyflash said:
You have really gotten down and dirty for this post Larry. :lol: I have seen this on TV but never in person. You have some great images from the mud pit and one would hope that you didn't get any mud on your lens. I know that my beloved Z71 will never see the inside of a mud pit. :wink:

Well, I managed to stay un-mudded. That is the advantage of using the 80-200 mm and 300 mm lenses coupled with being high up on the ladder. The mud that did fly went up but spread out below me. When the water truck added more water to the pit they would spray the crowd every so often as you can find in the photos. I was able to avoid that little shower. Except once. I didn't see the truck coming from behind the crowd. My D2X beast and I got soaked. I carry towels in my station wagon and since I was shooting in the opposite direction, the lens stayed dry.

Brew said:
Nice shots.

Remember before during and after the mud run you have to go on the beer run.....

Interesting point! And at this event as well as all the other events I go to I am always offered beer or harder stuff. I always turn them down with a polite no thanks. Its not from not wanting to and it is hard to turn down free drinks but I never mix booze with my photography. Too often I'm shooting from a dangerous location and in all cases I need to keep my reflexes sharp and stay focused on what I'm shooting.

Larry,

gotta ROFLMAO

This really looks like more fun than a pig in slop...lolol

Never seen a race in the mud, but they do it here somewhere.

I have seen some after trucks and saw more mud than truck.

I would love to go to one of those runs.
Great shots. thanks a bunch.

hey did you see the post one fellow had with a tripod that folds up with the ladder :>)))))

Thanks so much for sharing.. My chuckle for the day.
I hope for sure you had one hell of a good time :>))))))))

Gale said:
Larry,

hey did you see the post one fellow had with a tripod that folds up with the ladder :>)))))

Thanks so much for sharing.. My chuckle for the day.
I hope for sure you had one hell of a good time :>))))))))

I missed the tripod/ladder configuration. My ladder is one of those fold-up four section jobs that can be configured into different shapes. Since one section is only four feet long and two feet thick when all four sections are folded together it fits nicely on top of the luggage rack. One thing I need to improve is standing on the steps. They are rolled metal and that gets hard on the feet. I'm thinking of some board arrangement that can be placed on it. I do find something to tie the ladder to even if its my car. Heavy nylon rope keeps it in place. Most of the time I use it in an 8 foot vee shape but the 16 foot flat reach is nice when you really need to get up.

Yeah, it was a good time except hot and humid. The crowd faces each other being on both sides of the pit. Lots of drinking and swearing. And that was just the ladies. Guys on both sides were taunting the gals on the other side to raise the T-shirts. I kept an eye out for any of that activity for a fast shot (for the guys here, of course).

lololol

Larry that had to be just tooooo much fun !!!!!

teehee Bet ya got some of those shots to.. Fun stuff.
Yeah hot and humid for sure..
Here where I am in fla right now we have had so much rain and afternon t-storms it is keeping it cooler. Very unusual weather..

After last years Hurricanes.. I am kind of worried..

Cheers my Friend...

I'll see if I can find that post for you on the ladder tripod.

Gale said:
teehee Bet ya got some of those shots to.. Fun stuff.

Here where I am in fla right now we have had so much rain and afternon t-storms it is keeping it cooler.

I'll see if I can find that post for you on the ladder tripod.

Actually did not get any of "those" shots. Didn't even see any of "those". I've heard "those" called a lot of things but "those" is a new one on me!! I could get me a t-shirt made that says,

"Caution- Will photograph Those without Clothes".

I see my old swimming hole at Fort Walton Beach has been in the news the past two days. Glad my swimming pool is in the backyard here.

Thanks on the ladder if you find it!

Latest threads

Top Bottom