Muir Beach

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Mike Z, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Early morning at Muir Beach in Marin County, California.

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

That is a great photo....

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow that is a beauty.

Looks as though soneone carefully sculped the shoreline.. Nice lines and rock and , the slight water movemennt is good to..

4. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Dave and Gale,

Thanks for the kind words. Living in Illinois, the California coast always amazes me.

Mike

5. Hey, Mike, your picture make me want to go to the beach! It's still foggy here, but the sun is just getting ready to break through.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. You have a soul mate here. I love the coast too.

6. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    I presume you also spent time inland there in the redwoods? How about some shots from there too? Everyone loves the beach and California has some of the most spectacular. Thank you for sharing your pleasure.

7. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Patrick,
    I did try some shots in the woods but I wasn't happy with the results. It's very close and dark in the woods. If you stay low, you get a lot of greenery like a rain forest. If you shoot up to show the height of the trees, there is too great a dynamic range to avoid the sky being blown out.
    Mike

8. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Mike, I had the same problem when I was there two years ago, but I was using the 5700 then. My thought now is to expose once for the sky and then for the woods and merge? Actually PSCS got some of the shadows out with tgreat shadow/highlight feature. But, man, is that lighting a challenge!

9. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Patrick,
    Here is an example of one that didn't work. I finally found a spot that let me get some distance from the trees, but as you can see, flare was a real problem.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Your beach picture is terrific Mike! The angle looks like you are in the water!

I have probably been to the beach in California a thousand or more times. Still, my first glimpse of the ocean, everytime I do, gets me excited like a little kid.

11. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Thanks Chris. There was a little slough (I believe that's what it's called) to a backwater pond about 20 yards up from the water's edge. It's the slough that's the foreground of my picture. Unfortunately, it was deep enough that I wasn't able to cross it with the shoes I was wearing. I would have liked to have been able to shot from the other side of the rocks.
    Mike

12. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Mike
    I found it incredibly frustrating to be surrounded by that cathedral-like splendor and to come away with so few keepers (maybe 1 or 2 out of 50 at a stretch). Flash was little help because of the depth of the contrast and the physical distance involved. Maybe another thread to invite some successful shooters to post and show us how to do it? But your picture certainly brought it back to me. Love your beach - I live near the SoCal beaches and go down there all the time. The light is so varied, but in June - July we get "June gloom" which involves lots of low fog all morning.

13. Mike

That is a great beach shot.

Russ