Mule Deer - spring family portrait

You can tell it is spring, coat is getting ratty, no antlers, but the family is together. This was shot with the 200-500 on a D500 from 103 yards across a deep ravine. You can also tell they were quite aware I was there.

Mule Deer Family Portrait
p2813169763-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

nice shot. It is amazing what the d500 and the 200-500 can do in the hands of a master!

cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"it is so rainy here all a get to do is lay on the couch" - Georgie Beagle

nice shot. It is amazing what the d500 and the 200-500 can do in the hands of a master!

cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"it is so rainy here all a get to do is lay on the couch" - Georgie Beagle

alexis and Georgie, thank you so very much for those kind words, I'm humbled.

I just read yesterday that the whole west coast had the 2nd heaviest day of rain since 1849, I'm so glad we shared it with you nice folks up in the Great White North.

Nice family shot. I prefer that they know you're there and they give you a look.

Thanks, Bobby. Sure as heck beats nothing but butt shots, that is for sure! It really is amazing that any small sound I made they knew it. Sad part is that I, and Jim Thiel a week before, wanted them to go up a ridge to our right so we could get them in front of snow, as I did with the Bluebirds. Obviously they sensed this as well, since they turned around and went the OTHER way :mad:

If you look very closely you can just about see a smile :) Nice.

Thanks, Nick.

Nice shot! They'd be happy with that family portrait. Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I sure wish they had been in full coat with antlers, maybe some snow on the ground, and 50-60 yards closer too. Instead I just have to live with the real world and hope that if I ever get THAT lucky I won't screw up the shot!

Nice family shot.

Thanks, Binnur. It was quite nice that they stayed together feeding this way, and for plenty of time to get some shots.

How do you get 'em to pose like that? Nice job.

Thanks, keirin. On the pose, a combination of luck and circumstance I think. Often they would just be grazing, heads down. But when I move at all they seemed to sense me, and looked up. When I first saw them I was shooting from in my car, even from over 100 yards away they heard me. They did not seem afraid or nervous, just alert.

Great shot

Thanks, Randy. We often see deer around this location, just got lucky with them grazing this way.

Latest threads

Top Bottom