Mule Deer

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Terri French, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I just returned from a vacation to Redfish Lake in central Idaho. I have been there 21 out of the last 23 summers and have never seen so many deer. They didn't seem very afraid of people, either.

First three taken with D70 and 70-200 VR lens

View attachment 13944

View attachment 13945

I came across these by surprise while on a walk. I was taking landscape shots previously and forgot to bump up the shutter speed for the moving deer--darn.

Taken with D70 and 18-70mm lens

View attachment 13946

View attachment 13947

The habitat of the deer family--what a wonderful place to live!!!

View attachment 13948

Gallery in progress of entire trip
    http://www.pbase.com/terrif/redfish_lake_vacation_2005

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Terri,

These are great. I really envy you for getting to relax in such a beautiful place. Looks like heaven with photo op's. :wink:

3. Nice clear shots of the deer. I love the last image which shows the beauty of the area. Also think the mother leading her bambi's across the stream is special.

4. Great shots, you got to love Idaho for some of the unspoiled beauty that still exists.

louie

5. Great series, Terri. The deer look very healthy, not nearly as motley as the ones around here. How close were you for those head shots?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Great series, Terri!! You must have been able to get close to those guys with those lenses to get these shots! They look good and healthy. Must be that nice habitat!

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm guessing about 6' away for the fawn shot? Mule deer are usually ok with people, they are actually a little too tame around the Grand Canyon, you have to be careful, they don't run from cars!
    Beautiful area of the country, at least this time of year. The winter, well, I don't like the cold.......

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I was very close

I was able to shoot the head shots at 200mm and the fawn was at 70mm. I'm really not too good at guessing distances but would guess that both were shot at less than 15 feet. I just kept walking closer and closer to the deer in the first shots and it didn't run away. The shots with the fawns were shot from a bridge and I was really close to them.

They are beautiful animals. We saw lots of them wandering through the campground, totally unafraid of being close to lots of people.

Glad you all enjoyed the photos. That part of Idaho is absolutely gorgeous. No wonder so many rich celebrities want to move to Sun Valley. This lake is probably about an hour or so away from Sun Valley. Haven't been to Sun Valley for a few years so can't remember for sure.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very beautiful Terri,

Don't know what else to say.

I am very envious.

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    You won't be envious of me in January!!!! I can guarantee that!!!!

My days of being outdoors and enjoying the scenery are numbered.

Thank you for looking Gale.

11. Beautiful series, luv the fawn shots, well done Terri!

12. Hi Terri,

Great series! Love the fawn shots. Isn't it great when they don't run away. :) I'll never forget one Scout camp I was on in the Stein Valley when one sauntered though our camp coming within a few feet of us.

It looks like you have found a beautiful spot to vacation.

13. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I appreciate all of you....

Who took the time to look and comment on these photos. I haven't done much wildlife photography and it was fun to try something new.