Multi Flash Required

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by simonramsden, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Hi

Shot this last night using my D70 + a few other bits and a SB-600 flash mounted on a Manfrotto Flash Arm.

As you can see there is an enourmous shadow to the right - the speedlight was on the left hand side. So, I really need to use 2 speedlights. I'm thinking of getting an SB-800 so I can then use the wireless features rather than having sync cables all over the place. No problems so far.

My Manfrotto Flash arm only holds a single flash, so I'm going to need to cahnge to a different system Basically the questions are:

What dual flash bracket are you using ?
    Is it easy to handhold with regard to balance/weight etc...?

Thanks in advance

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent image. You did well.

The shadow right is not a problem really.

3. Hi Simon, for insects on flat surfaces a piece of tinfoil hanging of the lens hood attached with a elastic band works well for filling in the shadow.

Martin

4. Was the flash the only source of light; i.e., at night? The flash as used is rather harsh and the shadows are certainly noticeable. Flash is better used as fill letting the ambient light be your main source. For dual flash setup I use an 8 foot stand with an umbrella plus an on camera bracket and flash. I have two SB800's and also occasionally use a third SB80.

Flash is not easy to master and requires much practice and reading to become proficient. That is the beauty of the digital camera, you are not burning film and can erase all the bad images immediately. Practice when the image is not critical. I hate to tell you how many shots I have taken of lamp shades and my dog.

5. Martin

Interesting idea - I'll go raid the kitchen cupboard later.

Gordon

Thanks for the advise - I think you're right about the reading. I'm awaiting delivery on a close up book, which includes a lot of details about flash and brackets.

Anyhow - getting the flash into a better position is now sorted. Ripped my Manfrotto flash arm apart and with a quick release plate (mounted upside down) and a small ball head I have a positional and workable solution.

The lens mount is swivelled round to the top.

The "gold" bar is to be replaced at some stage (probably never) - it simply has a 3/8 thread on one end and a 1/4 on the other.

Ordered a set of diffusers for the flash - should be here soon. Hopefully post some new results in a week or so.

Thanks

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Simon, very creative set-up. 8)

I liked your original shot, but do see the shadow problem. I'm pretty new at close-up shooting too, and have noticed the same problem in many of my shots, where the flash was the main source of light. I'd be interested in following your progress as you get more experience and learn new techniques. It can only help me improve as well. :wink:

Thanks,