Multiple Catchlights, multiple flashes

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by twig, Jun 24, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    What light modifiers can be used to prevent the flash from creating a catchlight in multiple flash set-ups?

Do people mostly clone out in Photoshop (I would prefer to find an easier way)
    Do people use only a single light source and reflectors for fill?
    Do people bounce their other flashes off walls to diffuse them, rather than shoot at the subject?
    Diffusion panels?

The diffuser attachment alone is not enough to prevent it.

MY on camera master, do I need to point it away from the subject to avoid any tiny catchlights from the signal flashes?

2. Hey Twig,
    I've just started using my SB-800 & SB-600 and have noticed that the catchlights are 2 small ones rather than what you would normally see with a large softbox or umbrella. I have my off camera flash behind a diffusion screen. I've tried the on-camera flash bouncing, aiming direct, diffuser attachment on and off. I haven't noticed much difference in the catchlights. I'm waiting for some umbrellas to arrive so I can try with them. I have a couple of softboxes that I bought before I got the speedlights when I had planned on using monolights but I don't know how to get them attached to my speedlights. :( Gotta figure something out.

Even using reflectors, you still can end up with catchlights, depending on where they're placed. I guess people who don't like the dbl catchlights are PSing them out.

3. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Thanks for your comments,
    Let me know how the umbrellas work, my lighting books show shots using two lights with umbrellas on either side of the camera, but I don;t understand what that would do with catch lights.

I am going to pick up a Photek Softlighter II on monday to start experiemnting with as a key light, but I still need a way to provide fill without extra catch lights.

4. Twig, maybe you can experiment with the lights. I remember reading about adjusting your lights so that the catchlight appears. Maybe with the fill light, if you adjust it high enough, you can avoid the 2nd catchlight. It's supposed to be high and on the lens axis to lighten what the camera sees.

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    If you go to high with the fill that is at the camera it can create some ugly shadows.

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Whats your technique Charles?
    I have seen a number of photos you have taken with multiple softboxes and no problems, are you just making sure to only have one directly on your subject?

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    twig,

Sorry for the slow response. My usual setup is one softbox at the camera for fill, main light at a 45 to the subject but I would feather the light so that just the edge was used. A hair light above and behind. If the main showed as a catch light I would PS it out.

I have a new system that I have not tried yet. Main at 45 to subject, white reflector for fill. Another light on the main side but 90 degrees to main for a kicker. That would ensure a single catch light and only need 2 strobes. Its a thought in progress at this point without testing.

8. I hate multiple catch lights

also hate square ones. if I'm shooting just one subject, one setup, I don't have much problem with them. I use a Photek octagonal softbox or an umbrella for main, and make sure that it's within about 30 degrees of where I'm going to be standing. That's the catchlight. I put fill between 70 and 90 degrees away to the left, and a bit high. Unless the subject looks up and left, you won't pick it up.

shooting this last weekend, however, I wanted to give the subjects enormous latitude in terms of movement, expression, etc. No way to avoid multiples without constantly fiddling with lights, and the energy of the subjects was more important. I think like everything in life, it's a tradeoff.