multiple cores

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by jim hughes, Aug 5, 2008.

1. jim hughes

jim hughes

Jun 12, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Thinking about buying a new motherboard, and considering a CPU with 4 cores. Few applications today actually make use of 4 cores; it's mostly hype at this point. Does anyone know if NX2 uses more than 2? (And I assume it at least makes use of 2 when loading/saving files).

2. Jim, I have seen the first draft of the first part of Tom's upcoming tutorial about fine tuning Capture NX for use on a Windows machine. He mentions that a dual core machine is better than a single core and that a quad core machine is better than a dual core machine. He also adds that RAM is the most limiting factor and that the processor itself is not as much of a factor unless it's a "mid range" processor. I haven't asked him to clarify what he means by a "mid range" processor.

Hope this helps!

3. I recently watched the CPU activity during a batch process in NX2 and it used all 4 cores (C2Q 9450) equally, between 30-60%.

Cheers

4. jim hughes

jim hughes

Jun 12, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Well that's encouraging. It would be great if they also used multithreading during rendering, but that may be too much to hope for.