Multiple flash, softbox, octobox

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by greyflash, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Using my SU800 to control two SB800's in a softbox and one SB800 in an octobox and yet another SB600 as a hair light proved to be easy. Adjusting the light levels on camera was very helpful, especially since the two SB800's were enclosed in a large softbox and would have been very difficult to set otherwise.

Model was a teenager in my neighborhood:

original.

2. Nikon's CLS Questions

These shots (including your other posting) look great. I was thinking of trying to do some portraits of my granddaughter.

I am looking to buy an SU-4 to fire my SB-28 from the built in flash on my D200 and also using the SB-800 I recently bought. I am trying to sneak up on this capability slowly i.e. invest as little as possible to see if I continue to have an interest... Maybe later I will buy an SU-800 and possibly another SB-600 / 800.

Are there any web pages that talk about the use of Nikon's Creative Lighting system with these older tools? I started to read http://strobist.blogspot.com but found it much more broadly focused on all types of equipment.

Have been following Uncle Frank's tutorial (lesson L102: Unit 1.1 - the first assignment) and am looking forward to the next lesson.

I have an SU-4 on order, but it seems to be in short supply? Do you know where they actually have some in stock?

Sorry for all the questions!:confused:

3. Thanks Gordon!

4. Sorry to disappoint, Dan, but my thread about the first lesson turned into a brewhaha, and I've been reluctant to start another. But that doesn't mean I'm not devouring every issue of the Strobist. It's great stuff!

5. Thanks for the heads up Frank. I was going to give you a special award if you successfully managed that group!

Thanks for trying!

6. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Gordon - awesome picture. I bought a light stand and umbrella this afternoon. I only have 1 sb600 and the flip up flash. This is my first attempt. I can't wait til I get the $ together for a couple more flashes.

172003741-700x700.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  7. Your off to an excellent start Gary. Keep it up.