Multiple flashes

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Mitchell, Jul 25, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a way to have multiple flashes for an inexpensive home studio for family portraits. I have a D70 with an SB600 and have used the flash off camera in commander mode with good results (although I don't like the fact that the on camera flash has to pre-flash). I would like to add 1-2 more off camera flashes to this setup.

Any reason why I shouldn't buy some cheap flashes with optical slaves to use as hair and background lighting? What would the purchase of two more SB800 flashes do for me over just optical slaves?

mitch

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi mitch-

the advantage of using sb-600/800's is you get i-ttl. This can make exposure a little easier as you can use the camera to control the exposure of all the flash units. you can even adjust the output level of the remote flash from the master flash. the sb-800 can also behave as a simple slave flash (no ttl), but i'm not sure if the sb-600 can do this.

if you're planning on using a flash meter, or have the time to do test shots and adjust your exposure, then you can use any flash with an optical remote. keep in mind that if you use i-ttl on any flash, the pre-flashes will probably set off any non-i-ttl flash.

ricky

3. The problem I have with the pre-flash is that it makes my 6 month old daughter close her eyes!! I have over 100 nicely lit and exposed shots of her with her eyes closed!

If I mount an SB800 on the camera and use the SB600 off camera, will I eliminate the preflash issue?

mitch

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Mitch,

I use 1 SB800 and 3 SB600's in the way you want. The i-TTL works well but it can be inconsistent at times. I put my flashes in manual mode and use the SB800 to trigger each flash and meter with a handheld flash meter. Than are many advantages to this system and some disadvantages. Recycle time and power can not compare to true strobes, but they are so portable and no cords are needed.

You can also use light modifiers with the flashes. I use large, medium, and small soft boxes with mine. In the beginning I used umbrellas but found that I could not control the light the way I wanted.

To stop the blinkers, use FV lock. The pre-flashes are for flash measurement. I can not remember which menu setting it is on the D70 though. There is some talk about it in the manual.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,