Critique Muscadet Sevre et Maine

I don't ever remember seeing a Muscadet Sevre et Maine that has either designation, sur lie or Muscadet, embossed in the wine bottle. Both are embossed in this bottle.

Setup
The background is frosted acrylic lit from behind by a small continuous-light lamp fitted with a yellow gel. That part of the lighting outlined the bottle in dark tones. The background is also enhanced by a lighting effect from Boris FX Optics that makes it appear as if it's wallpaper. The tabletop is translucent vellum (though it appears opaque when light is falling upon its near side as in this case). A small continuous-light lamp on the right cast the shadow and lit the right side of the labels. A medium continous-light lamp on the left lit the left side of the labels. A gold reflector immediately above the camera leaning at a 45-degree angle toward the subject brightened the circular gold label unevenly and that unevenness helped define the curve of the bottle.

Mike 2020-10-01--0004-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thank you to Nick and Jim!

The wine is a typical Muscadet Sevre et Maine, which in itself deserves to be called distinguished in my mind because of how well it pairs with seafood, especially oysters, yet works perfectly well on its own.
I remembered that oysters is the classic accompaniment. I also recall that it is bone dry.

Yup. The following puts that into perspective: https://winefolly.com/tips/wines-listed-dry-sweet/
That's an interesting graphic. I found some of the entries a bit surprising. Certainly some don't agree with my own experience but we all know there can be vast differences in wine made from the same grape in different areas of the world and by different wineries in the same area.

I've experienced some wines from Bordeaux, which are usually a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc, that were much drier than some Sangiovese.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is the first time I’ve been to that site. Lots of good info.
Wine Folly is probably my favorite website when it comes to learning about wine. Nick introduced it to us here at the Cafe quite awhile ago.

I've experienced some wines from Bordeaux, which are usually a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc, that were much drier than some Sangiovese.
My experience is that a lot of people confuse dry and sweet with not fruity and fruity. Whereas I don't normally think of Sangiovese as being particularly dry, it's usually a lot more fruity than the red Bordeaux wines, which leads many people to think it's not so dry. However, one of the characteristics that makes a great Bordeaux so enjoyable is that it's both dry and fruity. Those fruity Bordeaux wines are generally quite expensive. My point is that the charts are only guidelines that often don't take into account the quality of the wine and never take into account the varying perceptions of the wine drinkers.

I don't ever remember seeing a Muscadet Sevre et Maine that has either designation

You have to be drunk in order to read those 2 designations :ROFLMAO:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have to be drunk in order to read those 2 designations
Or living somewhere besides Colorado :D:rolleyes:
I'm certain that you know the wine is renowned for going so well with oysters. I'm also certain that you know the Rocky Mountains are in Colorado. But your comment makes me wonder if you know about Rocky Mountain oysters. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom