Mushroom interlude

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry S., Jun 30, 2008.

1. Interlude, because it's not really mushroom season, but two weeks ago - after some persistant rains on following heat period they shot up like mushrooms - wait a moment -these are mushrooms :wink:
    There were quite a few Boletus aestivalis which only appear in summer. No photos because they were hiding under some heavily entangled shrubs. But fried in butter they made a delicious side dish.

What else I found and shot (Nikon D200, PC-Nikkor 85/2.8 Micro) - see below.

Russula aurea, a rare representative of that genus (edible and very tasty)

original.jpg

Russula vesca, quite common (also edible and very tasty)

original.jpg

Xerula radicans, a small species (no idea whether it's edible or not)

original.jpg

Two youngsters of Xerocomus chrysenteron (edible).

original.jpg

A very old and rotten specimen of Boletus luridus (also edible, but not in this state :smile:)

original.jpg

Well, I hope some of you got hungry :biggrin:

Cheers

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Is it autumn already? I like the light and composition but not really sure you made me hungry. How about some Cantharellus cibarius?

3. beautiful
    i LOVE mushrooms
    wish i could have some of those in a NICE SOUP

thanks for the wonderful shots

4. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Harry,
    In the first couple of pictures it looks as if you have been tasting them.... you're supposed to eat them after you photograph them!

5. Thanks Torben, the time will come for Cantharellus, but they are pretty rare here in the low lands. I will surely visit my uncle who has a house in the mountains and if they bloom like two years ago then I will shoot images of Cantharellus meadows :smile:

Cheers

6. Thanks Greg and Paul!

You have to know, when it comes to mushrooms I am a very impatient person. My passion for mushrooms is surpassed only by that of my wife, and hobbits maybe :smile:.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  7. Very nice, Harry. I love your mushroom shots. The first two are my favorites. Thanks for posting them.

8. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Very nicely lit Harry!

9. Thanks - forgot to mention, they were all lit with two SB-R200's, partly lying somewhere on the ground partly hand-held.

BTW - it's a pity that no other photographer was with me. I would have liked too see what I look like crawling on the ground like a wild boar digging for acorns :biggrin:

Cheers

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    No, you don't want to see that.

11. Lovely! It is so wet there are lots of neat weird rooms about! None to eat around here. I get mine from the grocery store.