Music from another time

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I had a negative copier made where I once worked in exchange for a bottle of Grappa and finally I connected my Nikon 60mm macro to the FF it was designed for.

Some of these pictures have never seen the light of day before: Not bad it has taken me 20 years to process them. Others are old favourites revisited. Stuck at home it will be interesting to go through my 2000 or more BW films stored in my old darkroom.

It is much easier working in the digital darkroom, rather than my old traditional darkroom. It is amazing how much I can pull out of these old negatives and the DXO point burning and dodging tools work well.

These were taken when I was first in Italy and freelanced for the Press office of our local theatre and a local news magazine.

It was a great time as I love Jazz, and I got to see and sometimes meet a lot of my favourite musicians.

It was a time of shoot, process, print a few for a press release, or for the magazine culture page and then onto the next shoot. So I have lots to explore if I want too.

With lots of Lockdown time, now is the moment to go back through the archives. These were shot on either a Nikon FM2 or F801 with a Tamron 300 2.8 or Nikkor 180 2.8.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Joe Henderson. This is my all time favourite picure out of all those that I have taken.

Pat Metheny doing a during a sound check in Ravenna around 1990. First time processed. Metheny is my favourite musician. We have tickets to see him in Ravenna in May, but I do not think the concert will happen.

I wrangled a press pass from friends who organised the concert.

A typical Metheny expression when playing.

Michael Brecker

Ian Anderson. The support band were driven of stage under a barrage of water bottles.. I was in the middle in the press pit. Happy Times.

Aha. i believe they where quite famous when I took this shot in the 90's. A right place right time shot. I shot just one frame. I would of fired off 20 today with digital

An Italian Rocker. cannot remember who.

John McLaughlin

Paul Motian

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Wonderful images, showing modern software coupled with old prints and your fine eye. Great historical moments too.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For some of us here these would be music from OUR time! Fabulous series and so well done!
Yes, Jazz is still music of our times, probably the only place where new sounds are being made on the outer fringes of the genre, whilst I feel Rock has said all it has to say for the moment.

But one thing to note that in this set of pictures Henderson, Brecker and Motian are sadly no longer with us together with the recently departed Lyle Mays who contributed so much to Pat Metheny's music.

I still have lots of digging to do, I have Ornette Coleman, Chick Corea and a few other great musicians in the neg files.

Like photography there do not seem to be any "Greats" anymore.

I notice my reaction got somehow lost in the digital jungle.
Or I forgot to click <Post reply> :eek:

In any case, I just wanted to add my admiration for your incredible work on film and how you digitized it so good.

Yes, I'm from this era, too, turned 70 last week...I remember Morten of A-Ha forgetting the lyrics but it was still worth the money to see them perform. I noticed Ian is playing the flute with low C foot, like Rampal. Beautiful work!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom