1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Music. Music, Music

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Rich Gibson, Jul 7, 2008.

1. My son asked me to shoot some of his guitars with an eye towards selling. This is quite different from landscape, birds and sports. Each guitar has unique colors so the lighting, aperture and ISO had to be adjusted for each one. The Black four knob Gibson was the hardest; keeping the mother of pearl from blowing out was agony. Capture NX2 was very helpful on the tonalities of the guitar faces. C&C please. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  2. very nice
    rich the 3rd is the style that
    i often use

3. They're real beauties!

4. I know very little about guitars and even less about effectively photographing them, but these images look good to me.

5. Nice job on these, Rich.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well done on these Rich.

7. hallkc

hallkc

Apr 1, 2008
    French Camp, CA
    These look great to me. What is the background material? Did you add a vignette in post production or is that maybe a snooted/gridded flash, or even light falloff? Would love to know more about the setup you used.

8. It was 40" x 60" black foam core from an art store. After unsuccessfully trying a black painted block to support the guitar I tried hammering two finishing nails into the plywood board backing the foam core. You can put nails anywhere in the board since photoshopping out a nail is infinitely easier than trying to clone stamp out a much larger block of wood.

I used either hand held flash or two 200watt lamps on either side of the camera about 5' away. In the case of the black four knob Gibson I turned the lights down with a rheostat and extended the exposure time to keep the mother of pearl inlays on the neck from blowing out. This was all trial and error; I have almost no knowledge of lighting. It was my intention to have fall off so that the focus of light was approximately where the right hand strums the strings.

I'm still looking for some device to generate a soft, non-point source glow to hold down reflections. The two lamps I used were backwards umbrellas, but they still generated hot spots.

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.