Music on website

Nope, I like it. Some of the best sites I've seen have music. Probably a personal preference thing but I think it's good...

Your gonna hear from alot of people to kill the music. But I actually like the music, especially when veiwing wedding pics or family photo sites. I seem to stay longer and browse more on sites with a nice melody playing in the background.

I say keep it.....also I liked the music that you picked out....very calming and nice rhythm.

Well....here's a response I got from a different forum, albeit not a photographic one.

"very ghetto and 1997. big faux pas. when i worked in a web development shop the design/UI people had a powerpoint all ready for any client who really wanted this sort of automatic sound feature with data on how much it turns off people. for every one person who finds it charming there are ten who won't EVER come back to the site again. this is WAY WORSE than pop-ups. an enormous fraction of online shopping happens in the office. you think people want to advertise what they're doing if they live in cubicle world?"

I can't stand music on websites personally and always look for the 'music off' button, usually because I have my own form of muscial entertainment going on. Whereas it was said above music makes some people stay on a site longer, it makes me leave quicker lol

So it works both ways and you'll never be able to please everyone so just do what you like best :)

If I wanted your website to make noise, I'd lick my finger and wipe it across the screen.

(old quote I stole from someone, many many years ago).

Music is OK, as long as it is OFF by default.

Linda, i DO like the music, very much
most folks with these kind of sites give you an option to turn OFF the music
you might consider that

folks don't like to MUTE their computers, as they might listening to or waiting for OTHER audio cues from their PC/mac

for example.... a lot of folks listen to iTunes while they surf the web.... and your music will interfere with that
so.... i'm sure there is a way to give a "button" on your main page to "mute" the music

Absolutely hate going to a site where music starts playing. I am typically already listening to my own music, or surfing late at night in a quiet environment, etc. When music suddenly kicks on - it is quite annoying.

In my opinion, the best approach (as has been mentioned) is to embed the music on the site, but have its default as "off" (so it doesnt automatically start, and instead waits for someone to start it). Then, if someone wants to listen to it, they can. This solves all issues in my mind.

I personally think it is very antiquated for websites to play music automatically - but everyone has their personal views. (I am sort of surprised by the support in this thread - I learn something everyday).

At the end of the day - it is your site and you can make your site the way you want it...

R

rocketliv

I am not usually a fan of music or sounds on websites. It startles me! haha...but I easily found your mute button and I have an easy mute button on my macbook so it wasn't a big deal for me.

lol..."antiquated" ... Guess I'm getting old already.

Apart from that, I do understand the point although I don't think it matter so much what I think, but what my prospective clients think.

Sooo....what that in mind. I guess I'll dish the music.

*edit - I found a happy medium: on my website I am able to un-check the "start song automatically"

Thanks everyone, I'm glad I asked this question.

I have not checked the site and would not matter what I thought. It's the cumulative effect and you stand better to offend no one by having nothing to offend them.

Just figure you will probably turn off as many people as you turn on no matter what you have on.
If it's a commercial site you risk to much. As a business owner I have to be mindful of that constantly. Throw a bumper sticker on your car that says "Coke Is It" and about half the people will be thinking 'um..wrong'

If it's a fun site disregard all I said.

ah yes.the avatar. I like it too!

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fivegrand

I liken music on a business/professional website much like a Flash website.

Anecdote, that I've taken to heart and never forgotten: I once sat next to a casting agent that was perusing various models' websites. She soon came to one site from a prospect that was Flash-based. She said "Ugh. A Flash site. That's exactly what I do, too: I Flash the F outta there and I never go back."

Play music during your in-person proof presentation; not on your website. Your site is trying to cast the widest net possible; don't start out by immediately causing a significant portion of your visitors (potential clients) to immediately leave. Conversely, no one is going to immediately click out because your site doesn't have music.

Linda, I love your site. I've gone there just to browse and look at your photos. I do the same at Sonya's site just to see what you ladies are up to.

I don't care for music on any site. I easily determined how to shut your music off, but it really adds nothing to the experience for me. I often surf while at work and find the sudden onset of music disturbing to those around me.

Thanks guys, I've already taken my action, see post #15. And I also have a website that has two versions: flash/non-flash.

Mitch, you are so sweet!

and thanks about the avatar, Dr A took it for me while I was using his 60mm.

Latest threads

Top Bottom