Music suggestions for slide show?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BostonRott, Jun 9, 2007.

1. I'm not very into music and am looking for some help. I'd like to put some slideshows together of our travels, and of Emilie, for our parents. The music that we have isn't really what you'd want to put with the slide show.

I'd love to hear suggestions of light-hearted music to go with digtal slide shows of toddler/travel photos. The plan is to burn it to DVD and sent it out to our parents. I'm open to either buying physical albums or just downloading the tunes.

Thanks!! :smile:

2. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I know a family with 7 children or so, and their kids love the Beatles. The White Album has many ditties on it that are upbeat and perfect for children. All of them sing together in the car. "Martha, my dear, you have always been my inspiration, pleeeeease, remember me, Martha, my dear. Don't forget meeeeeeeeeee! Martha, my dear..."

Also, go to Amazon.com and check out all the children's jazz, broadway, rock-n-roll, etc., oriented CDs. Just search children, music.

For your travel stuff, you could try to get music popular for the region you were in. I'm sure a shout-out here at the Cafe could get you bits from all over the world. (Need some Acadian music from Canada?)

3. My wife is a music director for a high school here so each year I take pictures and do a slide show for her kids at the end of the year. The best suggestion that I can give you is to pick a theme. For instance this year because of the Pirates of Carribean she did a lot of Pirate themed music for her kids so I ended up putting all things Pirates as the music.

For travels you can pick songs like "On the Road Again" if you went to New York City then pick Sinatra "New York, New York," etc.

For kid type themes, I would choose Disney music such as "If you wish upon a star."

Many of the songs can be bought online through MSN or iTunes or other servces. Its much cheaper to pick a song and download it rather than buying whole CDs.

4. Another suggestion is to use one of the many free music download sites on the net. I've been mining this one for slide show music for a couple years:

Cnet

You will not find well known music from famous artists there, but some of the stuff is excellent (IMO). :681:

Turn on your pop-up blocker, you will definitely need it for sites like this! :Dizzy:

5. Here is a site with royalty free music: CLICKY!

6. I generally use movie or other sound track music for slide shows. One source I like a lot are the soundtracks for IMAX movies. The individual tracks are ofter fairly long and they just seem to fit well.

Nikon PictureProject also included some vary nice "generic" music as well which can be used with any program since they are just MP3's.

Cheers!!

Ken

7. Thank you! :smile: I think I'd prefer something instrumental, vs vocal, in order to keep the music "background-ish" and try to highlight the photography.

The idea of music from the region is EXCELLENT and I wish I had thought to try to pick up music while we were down in Central America. :rolleyes: I'm sure I can find something via searching. :smile:

Right now, I have 2 different trips in mind (to make slideshows out of) and themed music would work well. :smile:

Thank you!!! I wandered on over and already found 2 artists whose instrumentals I like.........light/upbeat but will sit nicely in the background. Perfect! Thanks!!! :biggrin:

Thank you, I will definitely check that out! :smile:

Interesting, I've never even looked at the Picture project CD's, will have to check that out! :smile: Also like the idea of the IMAX, thanks!

8. There's a couple of really good songs on the soundtrack to Curious George that work really well as slideshow music.

I used "People Watching", "We're Going to be Friends" and "With My Own Two Hands" on a s lideshow I did of mine and a relatives family at the beach last year - worked very well.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I know that you prefer music without words, but I had to recommend "Coming to America" by Neil Diamond.....what a great song to be used as a backdrop for a slideshow about traveling.

10. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Just a suggestion, but if there are any particular shows that Emilie likes (Sesame Street, Dora the Explorer, etc...) try finding music from that. That music is usually really fun and upbeat, plus Emilie would enjoy the slide show as well since she'll recognize some of the music.

Good luck...keep us posted on what you choose!

11. Hubby (being named George) is a big fan of Curious George, we may have to rent the DVD and watch the movie!! :smile: I'll check out the songs, thank you!

THAT is one of my FAVORITE songs!!!!!!!! :smile: I remember singing it in chorus in junior high and have loved it ever since. Thanks for bringing that back to the forefront of my brain! :biggrin:

Believe it or not, Em is not a TV/video fan. Partially my fault, I didn't want her spending time in front of the TV as an infant.......now she'd much rather play or be outside. There are late afternoons when I wish she'd sit quietly so I can work on dinner.......sigh!

Now woman, get ye to the hospital and have that son!!!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

12. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    I'd second Greg's suggestion to look at the royalty free music. Not to start anything, but I think we should be sensitive to copyrights, considering photographers go through pains to keep their images from being used. Just my opinion...

13. The music I downloaded last night was free, as supported by the artists (They upload it themselves, it's not file sharing like Kazaa or others). I agree, artists need to paid for their work, and I would only download from a purposely free site, or one where I've paid for the right to have the song.

14. On the other hand, I've made a few slideshows with musician's music attached and since they see I'm not using for commercial use, they actually feel complimented and have sent messages. I ALWAYS put in a frame at the end of the slideshow giving credit, with the album and track name so folks can buy it if they want. My time lapse amaryllis has received wonderful reception from Aine Minogue and she enjoyed the video immensely.
    http://www.half-lime.com/tophotog/sjvideos/

I think the music should be gentle enough to not take away from the video, and somehow the choice of music and instruments should be connected with the subject matter. Just an idea....

15. The Syncopated Clock by Leroy Anderson as performed by Percy Faith. Very happy background music, not intrusive.

16. Gretchen, if you do rip appropriate music from CD, I'd suggest doing it at 48kbps, VBR (variable bit rate). This will keep the size small, while still providing good enough fidelity for a screenshow.....and it helps to keep your overall slide show file (and processing time) size down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007