Music Video stills shoot - examples

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by PeterRH, Oct 3, 2008.

1. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Since I've now completed the assignment for 'Stein Richard', photographing stills of his new music video 'Ferrari', and taken using SB800's for the lighting I thought some cafe members might like to see a few examples.

I've posted a link to a smugmug gallery which may be updated with some new examples from time to time. It has a couple of shots of the studio scene to give some idea of the working space we had, which won't be on my main commercial or client gallery websites, so is more informative for cafe members to see the behind-the-scenes stuff.

smugmug page

D2x + Nikkor lenses (70-200VR, 12-24, 28-70 + 85) + SB800's + shoot-thru umbrella's/Lastolite HiLite used as softbox and as backlit background. Gitzo, Manfrotto self-supporting monopod and tripods.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  2. No images Peter :-(

3. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Something wrong here....I can see the images in the post.

4. smugmug problem ?

5. Interesting to see how the hilite worked for you, i use the largest and the smallest, considering the light is to be bounced off the back it becomes more of a indirect "design" did you shoot it forward ?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  6. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I can only see little white boxes with red crosses in them

7. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

I did not have enough space to the background with the dark backdrops, and wanted to avoid lightspill so used it as a side-firing softbox at about a 45 degree angle to help pick out the body shapes but keep it from spilling forward.

In the more traditional usage behind there is a hot-spot when using just one speedlight but this can be retouched out.

8. I also can't see any of the images.

9. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

I've checked from another computer and I can't see them from that...I'm going to try to fix it. Will post back here when it is. Must be a Smugmug problem.

Meanwhile here's a direct link to the entire page of images:
    smugmug page

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  10. Looks good Peter, thanx for sharing.

I havent tried the Hilites with a single speedlight, i usually use two strobes or one with a 90 degree reflector wich gives a very even background from corner to corner.

Kindest

11. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Yes I think I need to dedicate another SB800 to the HiLite to get a more even spread and avoid some post-processing time.

I'll certainly use the HiLite on location again.

It was a real life-saver when I had to get out of the way of the video crew, but did not want to lose time, so was able to set up in a corridor outside the studio for some shots.

Thanks for taking a look.

12. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

I can now see the images on a different computer so hopefully the smugmug issue is resolved.

13. Yea the Hilite is nice for sure, i have the largest one (wich is huge lol) and the smallest. Wich size did you use ?

I was actually suprised to see how even the largest one is/was. (used with two strobes, one on each side) I was a little skeptical at first but it really is even, no processing whatsoever was required on the bg.

I never shot anything similar, so how did the camera crew take you presences, easy to work around them ?

I bet you benefited from the experience, but more importantly the job got you some good connections for the future ?

14. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

I have the 6ft x 5ft (I think). Great to be able to carry around a backlit system in a bag.

I got the job because I had done a couple of tv ad still shoots in the past, and it was a requirement to know how to work around the video crew/help them and not get in the way.

Once they knew I would be 'cool' to work with (ie I respected their job as the primary) they were really good and even helped me move kit around on the second day.

But yes, as you picked up on, by far and away the biggest upside was getting contacts and experience with another crew/music video/models and stylists one of which came from 'America's Next Top Model'.

15. Wonderful work, Peter. I appreciate seeing the studio space as well as the results. I love shots with attitude. You were blessed with some awesome models, and did them justice.

16. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment Frank.

The images still have some retouching/effects to go through before being used for promotions, but I was very pleased with being able to deliver in a high-pressure two-day shoot. I have many many images to get through but that's no hardship when it brings fresh material to the portfolio!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.