Muslin and floor wrinkles

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by icetraxx, Apr 24, 2007.

1. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    I was posting a response to another member and thought of a question that I had about a month ago dealing with muslin and wrinkles.

How do you keep a 10x20 muslin from wrinkling on the floor when you have a fair amount of people coming in a posing? I ended up having to clone out wrinkles which was a pain. I did tape down the front and sides of the muslin that was on the floor.

Is there any tips or tricks that yall and offer?
    Thanks,
    Larry

2. You could try placing a large sheet of plexiglass over it, which will add a reflection for full length shots but otherwise works great to protect the muslin from wrinkling and damage.

3. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    I didn't think about that. I don't know if I can locate a piece or pieces that big. I also the dancers would be walking on it with tap shoes on which I think would scratch the heck out of it.
    Larry

4. well this may be incredibly stupid because I admitt I don't know didly about what I'm doing on my portraits save what I'm learning from Stuart and a few others, what about starching it? You know that stuff our mothers and grandmothers used on dad's and grand dads shirts? Just an idea!

5. LAW2

LAW2

Oct 24, 2006
    JAX
    I believe starching it would leave a shiny residue on it. Starch is just sugar right?

6. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    I think that it would. I can't do anything permanent because I borrow the space only when I need it and available. I guess I need to find away to keep the back curve(where the back meets the floor) tight without putting a crease in the curve.

I have heard another way to remove wrinkles is to stick the muslin in the dryer for about 5 minutes, take out, and hang. This only works if your dryer is big enough though. I haven't tried it but it has to work b/c this is how I iron my slacks and my polo shirts. LOL

Larry

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    A trick that I heard works - although I haven't tried it is to use one of those hand steamers. Works for jackets and shirts hung near a really hot shower in hotel rooms . . .

8. Andrew

Andrew Guest

A steamer really does the job on my 10x20 backgrounds. If you are in a rush it is a bit frustrating because you have to slow down and let the steam take the wrinkles out. BUT, it works perfect.

As for wrinkles on the floor, when I am shooting I have my assistant watching to see if the muslin on the floor is completely out of whack and wrinkly.

9. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Hi Larry, I had to shoot 72 little dancers last weekend, then smooth the wrinkles in PS, no fun at all, so I am interested in the responses here too, thanks for posting.

I have more of the same coming up soon, wish there's a quick fix.