MUST-HAVE READING MATERIAL

Real Name
Chris
There's a lot of magazines. Check out 'Digital Pro PHOTO', Picture and American Photo if you want to follow where the line was drawn a month ago.

For books, I recommend Scott Kelby's Photoshop for Digital Photographers, Ron Reznick's Digital Photography (an e-book) and Bruce Fraser's Camera RAW. If you are an absolute beginner, I'd suggest also a book that describes the basic functions of a camera. Although it is film based, Adam's Camera and Lens is possibly the best for that, but there are many choices.

And don't forget the forums! In addition to this one, there is an obscure forum focusing on Digital Photography Reviews run by some British guy that often has news and opinions about various equipment.

A nice on-line monthly magazine free

www.vividlight.com

Alot of good tips and you can read all the articles since the mag started.. I especially love Moose Peterson.

I know photography for me, not being very young, is a long road.

cheers
Gale

PS:
Have also to recommend what Chris said and I do have those books.

Best place I find to buy books is on Amazon. I buy all used and they have all been new :>))

www.amazon.com

Cheers again
Gale

NANCY said:
What magazines/books must I have as a beginner to serious photography?

I see others have mentioned some excellent references. I'll add Thom Hogan's guides to various DSLRs. Thom's written the reference that Nikon should have for the D100 and D70 (the two I've read), and he's done it in straightforward language.

Highly highly recommended material. His Nikon DSLR Report is also a good periodical to look at, IMO.

Thom's website is http://www.bythom.com/.

Now, if he'd just get his Nikon Flash Guide updated and issued, I'd be even more complimentary to him ! :D

John P.

I'm partial to US Weekly and National Enquirer, those photographers get some crazy shots don't they! :) :wink: :p

Actually I like the Brit photo mags a lot. They're always thick with big glossy spreads and include CDs with all sorts of goodies. Unfortunately with import cost, they end up being like $12 bucks stateside, so I usually just read them cover to cover in the magazine rack instead of buy them! :)

Jonathan F. said:
I'm partial to US Weekly and National Enquirer, those photographers get some crazy shots don't they! :) :wink: :p

Actually I like the Brit photo mags a lot. They're always thick with big glossy spreads and include CDs with all sorts of goodies. Unfortunately with import cost, they end up being like $12 bucks stateside, so I usually just read them cover to cover in the magazine rack instead of buy them! :)
Jonathan :

I used to get the British photo and computer magazines regularly before I had broadband. The CD-R attached to them would save me hours in dial-up to get demos, not to mention the MS patches that I couldn't ever get in a reasonable time.

Now that I have broadband readily available, I don't tend to buy them as often.

John P.

Latest threads

Top Bottom