Critique Mutli-color Drop Art Photos

This was my first session using transparent liquid, two bottles and two drops dispensed by each bottle. One bottle had red coloring and the other one had green coloring. The margarita glass used as the catch basin began the session with water and no coloring but that water gradually took on various tones throughout the session as liquid dropped into it from above colored it.

When I upgraded from one bottle and one valve to three bottles and three valves, I assumed it was only a matter of getting the three valves close to each other and then proceeding as before. Wrong! The trick to getting the drops dispensed from the valves on the left and right to land as close as possible to where the drops from the valve in the center land involves at least the following factors I've learned about so far from someone with years of experience:
  • Larger drops travel farther toward and maybe across the center line than smaller drops.
  • The more liquid in the bottle, the greater the pressure. The more distance between the bottle and the valve, also the greater the pressure. The more pressure, the farther the drops travel toward and maybe across the the center line.
  • Adding food color and/or a thickening mixture increases the liquid's viscosity. Adding a surfactant reduces the liquid's viscosity. The less viscosity in the liquid, the farther the drops travel toward and maybe across the center line.
  • Increasing the angle of the valve from true vertical causes the drops to travel farther toward and maybe across the center line except that if the angle is too large, it will have the opposite effect.
Considering all of those variables, I got really lucky that I was able to consistently produce collisions of both drops falling from both valves.

Photo #1
Mike 2020-09-18--0025-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2020-09-18--0035-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2020-09-18--0056-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2020-09-18--0060-S.jpg

Photo #5
Mike 2020-09-18--0061-S.jpg

Last edited:
I have never done multiple drop images, and never even imagined all the different variables that would come into play here.
Stupid question: I thought most of these systems used mariotte siphon's which keeps the pressure in a closed container constant?
If drop position changes with viscosity, it will be really challenging. You will have everything set up perfectly and a butterfly will flap its wings in Zimbabwe and everything will go out of alignment.
Heck, if it was easy any of us could do it.
Enjoy the journey
Gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Really cool shots, Mike!!! Quite intriguing and interesting to view! #2 is maybe, in my opinion, one of your best yet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you to Gary and Allan!

I thought most of these systems used mariotte siphon's which keeps the pressure in a closed container constant?
I really don't know whether most people use mariotte siphons. My standard MJKZZ system doesn't come with them but the bottles do come with tops that accommodate the inner tube that converts the bottles into mariotte siphons if the photographer wants to use them. The MIOPS, Pluto and and Cognisys systems are setup by default with mariotte siphons. I imagine that using a mariotte siphon makes the formation more predictable but part of the appeal to me is the unpredictable characteristic of not using a mariotte siphon. Having said that, I'm really new at this stuff and can easily imagine some day trying out mariotte siphons.

I like 2 the best.
My favorite also. I really like how the lone, bright green droplet anchors the composition of the image. It's that kind of look that can't be created when using just one bottle unless the hue of part of the scene is digitally changed during post-processing.

Last edited:
By the way, the shape in Photo #1 is one that I've never produced before this session. That shape was produced several times during the session, so I assume the change to using two bottles with each bottle dispensing two drops is at least part of the reason it was repeatedly produced. On the other hand, it might be that butterfly in Zimbabwe flapping its wings that Gary mentioned that caused that to happen.

The shape of the formation in Photo #1 has been driving me crazy because it's the shape of a hat style that I couldn't remember. I initially thought it is the shape of cartoon character Yosemite Sam's hat, but not at all. I just now realized that it's the hat style so often included in portraits of Napoleon.

Thanks, Terri!

Your patience in producing these is amazing!!
Actually, I'm usually not patient and my wife will always be more than happy to attest to that. However, everything about the process of doing this stuff is so relaxing for me (though I don't know why) that patience comes easily to me without even having to try to be patient.

Very nice set Mike. My fav is #1. It looks like a piece of art which was made of glass. And I can see something like a historical statue in the centre.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom