MX photos from underground mx

I was having trouble with lighting today, cloudy then sun for a second then dark clouds again. Heres a few shots I got with my new 80-200 f28

Open for criticism good or bad!!!

note- these are some of the top amateur riders in the world.. i was stoked to show up and be able to ride with/ shoot these riders.

Kyle Regal buried
DSC_2099.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brandon Mays
DSC_2110.jpg

Rife
DSC_2118.jpg

Not sure
DSC_2124.jpg

Going too fast to get good focus
DSC_2125.jpg

DSC_2128.jpg

Chad Johnson- 2008 Arenacross Champion
DSC_2142.jpg

DSC_2170.jpg

DSC_2161.jpg

DSC_2172.jpg

Also not an MX shooter of any note (have only tried it once) but I liked the set... good punch, nice variety of angles, good action... what's not to like?

I like how the lighting works here, but may I ask, and suggest;
Some dodging on the rider's face and body ?

and the asking is do you have a dodge/burn layer setup ? I am a photoshop ignoramus,
but was taught to create an action that:

is a 50% gray fill layer, overlay mode. making it an action creates the layer to dodge and burn on.

I know some of the colors are off and dark, I dont have photoshop so most of these are straight from the camera, I only edited 2 of them in Iphoto. I need photoshop baaad!

Not really sure . . Maybe I'm lost . . ! !
Try shooting with some slower shutter speeds . . for me the pics are from great angles but tend to look at bit static. . .

Have a look at some of the pics posted by DRGSin (George) . . . He posts some of the best MX/SX pics that Ive seen, He can advise you better than me . .

Try shooting with some slower shutter speeds . . for me the pics are from great angles but tend to look at bit static. . .

Have a look at some of the pics posted by DRGSin (George) . . . He posts some of the best MX/SX pics that Ive seen, He can advise you better than me . .

That Repli-cast web page needs a link to your home page!

I know some of the colors are off and dark, I dont have photoshop so most of these are straight from the camera, I only edited 2 of them in Iphoto. I need photoshop baaad!

Get Photoshop Elements. It'll do what you need for 1/10th the price. :wink:

Nice shots, but I agree with Jason. You need some 'blur'. I shoot most of my MX at 1/160- 1/250, with fill flash. And I pan, to blur the background, since using flash, the DOF is too great due to the lower shutter speeds;

350780262_NDBnQ-XL.jpg

And, no, that's not the real RC.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! I can almost hear the hum of those bikes, not to mention the dirt in my face! Beautiful shootin! I have the 80-200 and absolutely love it! Though I don't shoot the races, I enjoy shooting the bikers having a good ol' time down at Waco Eagles here in TX. Keep those photos comin! Oh, da hubby rides a KX250.

Is it my monitor, or the images are underexposed ? (The first one is the only I see with the right exposure)

Latest threads

Top Bottom