My 10-stop and VND went out for a test drive yesterday.

Took a bit of time yesterday and took my two new NDs (B+W 10-stop and Singh-Ray VND) out for a test drive. Since we don't have a lot of waterfalls here in Cornpatch, I used the next-best thing.... fountains.

First off, I like to find the 'sweet spot' of my lenses, and try to shoot at that aperture if at all possible. Result: f/11 at 1/125, even at ISO 50 (Low -1.0)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not very silky. Without an ND, the slowest shutter speed possible would be 1/30 when I dial the aperture down to f/22:

Getting a little blur, but not near enough to make anything 'silky'. Enter the NDs. Tossing on the B+W 10-stop, and going back to my preferred f/11, I can now set the shutter to 10 seconds... even in broad daylight!

Oooooooooooh, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Kitty-corner across the intersection is another fountain, so I tried the Signh-Ray VND there. I set the camera back to ISO 100 and used f/11 (my two preferred settings). Without a filter, I got 1/30 sec.

Toss on the S-R VND, and starting at minimum:

1/20 sec

Start dialing it down.... 1/13 sec:

1/4 sec:

1.3 seconds:

And finally, at MAX, 6 seconds!

I did notice that the images tend to get cooler the more it's dialed down, especially at MAX. Some day I may try to create some profiles for the various settings to make corrections a 1-click process.

These two filters are gonna allow me to use ISO 100 and f/11 far more often, letting me match the shutter speed to the subject instead of the sun.

Great demo. Good explanation of why you may want to use ND filters. Thanks for taking the time to post these.

Nice demo. I'm very keen on buying the Singh Ray VND with the Polariser as one. Were these shot at the lens's widest setting? I don't see any vignetting so i'm assuming either there wasn't any or you fixed it in post. I tried a Variable ND on my 16 - 35mm a while back and got horrible x's across the frame when I used it between 6 to 10stops, and that put me off completely. Have you got the thin mount?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom