My $18,000 camera!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David_Bailey, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Well, I finally did it. I went out and bought an $18,000 camera! :eek: Now I didn't actually spend $18,000 but that's what it cost brand new. I spent like $25. :biggrin:

A flash back to the Associated Press Kodak NC2000e (actually a Nikon N90s with a huge digital back attached).

Oh what 15 years will do to a camera. 1 MP, huge, slow, bad colors...

Here's a link to some information regarding the camera: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6463-7191 and
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6463-7191-7457

Here's proof that it's the photographer and NOT THE CAMERA that determines whether you get good images (some really good images):
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6463-7191-7484

So, do you want one? I'll sell mine at 50% off the original price! :biggrin:

2677362343_f174fb7d98_o.jpg

2. We're so spoiled nowadays!

3. What are you going to use it for? Do you have a PCMCIA card to store the photos on? :p

4. Just added it to my camera collection. If I can find a cheap battery I may play with it, but no plans to use it for anything other than collect dust. :wink:

5. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Hey at least you have a full frame camera now... :smile:

The article is hilarious. I've always wondered how people were shooting with a camera that was almost a full foot high.

6. Yeah, next time I have an Art Director asking for a 50MB image I'm going to say "huh?" and "why?". :confused:

7. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

wow its amazing the digital revolution in photograghy occurred in such a short time.just back in the mid 90 digital was still a curiosity for the masses.but here in 2008 digital has taken over.i was a least gasper holder on to film up until tthe beging of 2008 and dove in on a d300.why did i wait so long.imagine in the 20s and 30s(yes 2020-2030)our grand kids will say granpa did you realy use those old dusty film camers we found in the basment?history has been made and we were there.

8. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    Actually it's 1.5 or 1.6x crop, depending on how you measure it. (According to the article)

9. You know when the world runs out of energy and we have no electricity, film will make a comeback since it's all chemically based! So don't get rid of your manual focus film cameras yet, they might be cutting edge technology in 50 years! :wink:

10. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    We'll never run out of energy, just have solar panels on stand by charge them batteries and if there is no sun. A bike generator will do, humans can always generate power. As time goes on the digital cameras would require so little power per shot you can basically shoot w/out batteries and just hook it to a solar array! check out the satalites in space.

That is one nice camera though. Straight up weapon, I'd like to see that N90's vs. a D3 in a 12 round match!!!!

11. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    No sun = no plants = no life = no need for cameras, batteries, or generators :)

12. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Very cool article. Thanks for the link.

13. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Note that I said camera, not sensor... :biggrin:

14. lokerd

lokerd

Jun 23, 2006
    Beaumont, Tx
    Actually, they are going to wonder why we use digital cameras...as they are probably going to have ocular implants that record data from their eyes straight to their on board computer stored in their head. At least I hope we have evolved past digital cameras to something else we can't even imagine right now. I got a Nikon FG in 1986...23 years ago. The AF 8008 a few years later was pretty unbelievable. I hope the next 23 years produces something amazing! Holographic recorders is one thing I would like to see! :smile:

15. Wow

I remember researching that camera years ago. Never bought one. Too pricey.

In its day it was something else.

16. Phil in Idaho

Phil in Idaho

Apr 1, 2008
    Idaho
    I love it! Frankencamera... every once in a while you get to see an evolutionary shift - where the end of one technology meets the beginning of a new technology. Rarely pretty, never streamlined, always exciting and filled with innocence, possibility, and ambition.

17. Aleksey

Aleksey

Mar 10, 2008
    New York
    .Originally Posted by Jonathan F2:
    .... "You know when the world runs out of energy and we have no electricity, film will make a comeback since it's all chemically based! So don't get rid of your manual focus film cameras yet, they might be cutting edge technology in 50 years! "......

I don't think anybody will be producing film and all the chemicals for a while, if " THE DOOM IS UPON US !":eek::eek::eek: I think the good old iron axe will be the cutting edge technology, so to speak!.:biggrin: In the mean time, I will enjoy my digital everything. :Love::biggrin:

P.S. Protect yourself from the DOOM! Invest in solar and wind renewable energy! (and keep your shotgun handy to protect your investment!):cool:

18. PatrickO

PatrickO

Aug 5, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Those images in the link really do clarify the relationship between gear and result, but ouch, what depreciation!

19. That's a huge camera, is it real heavy?

20. agile_one

agile_one

May 20, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    Great find, David. I remember reading about those beasts when Kodak came out with the digital backs on Nikon bodies. I thought that Kodak was finally going to take the lead again, and bring serious photography equipment design and manufacturing back to this country. Boy was I wrong. Probably the tipping point for big yellow, as they are pretty much gasping for air these days.

Have fun with your collectors item- a real piece of history.

btw, where did you find it?