My 1st attempt.

This is the first film I ever developed.Ilford HP 400,developed in Ilford 3 20degree c for 6.5 minutes. WHat is the standard workflow for scanning here is what I did .Scan as positive 16bit gray,take to PSE,change to 8 bit mode, invert, adjust levels then do a curves adjustment in LR3.

5530793532_518e8905f1_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

img059.jpg by lifthard1, on Flickr

One more question how to keep the film from curling. I have it clipped on top and another clip on the bottom for a lil weight.

Mark, what scanner are you using? I have used an Epson 4490 and V750 and normally scan B&W negative film as either B&W Negative 16-bit grayscale or sometimes Color Negative film 48 bit color. I only use the Positive film setting for slide. Seems like an extra step to invert.

1.) Create a linear scan of the B&W negative (Positive mode 48bit RGB)
2.) After scanning open the scan in Photoshop invert. ( I highly recommend getting Colorneg PS plugin for conversion)
3.) Continue to make further adjustment in Photoshop if needed, if using borders as part of the scan or not, etc.
4.) Convert the photo to RGB mode.
5.)Sharpen, more adjustments.
6.) Export/save the file as Tiff.
7.)Convert to .jpg (This is where you go to 8 bit)

Regarding curling, steam your bathroom for few minutes before hanging the film to dry over nite with the clips on, if still curled place negs in archival holders and place between a book and stack more books on top.
Curling is also dependent on film mfg. Lastly, I would get a piece of anti glare glass from a frame shop and lay your negs directly on the scanner emulsion side down and place the glass on top, no need for holders with V600.
My last 2 cents, is to join the flickr group for V500/V600 and read the threads. All this information I just put in this post is there in more detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom