My 1st mirrorless camera

Real Name
Randy
I've found a really nice lens hood for the 16-50, if you decide to keep the kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B3H1D8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fotodiox, and I've always had good luck with them and jjc as far as knockoffs. This one is us$8.95, the base screws in to the filter threads and then the hood itself uses spring loaded ball bearings to pop back onto the base. Both are aluminum. It doesn't vignette, and is much better shading than the little HN-40 ($24.95). Those little round Nikon WA hoods have never really helped with anything but keeping your paws off the front element.

As far as the z50/16-50 kit goes, I've had it since it was released. It's not the best Nikon camera lens combo I've ever owned in any category I can think of, but it has become my favorite Nikon combo (we're talking a lot of Nikons since 1973, I think KEH has named a wing after me).
thx for the tip,

so far I like the size and feel, still playing

wow you waited 10 years for your 1st post

Real Name
David
Early on most of what I shot was pics of my kids, my wife really didn't want them online. Or it was work and most of that was B'nai Mitzvahs and if my wife didn't want our kids on the net, I really didn't feel I should post other's kids.

I should go through and post some of what I've been shooting in the theme threads even though it's not Nikon.

Anyway, so far so good with the Z? I can't image image quality is an issue, find any show stopping handling issues?

thx for the tip,

so far I like the size and feel, still playing

wow you waited 10 years for your 1st post
I used to be a pro shooter and by the time I got around to reading forums everything I would have said had already been said. Worked a lot of weekends. Now I'm retired, and I think I've made maybe 15 or so DPR posts, and the 1 here. I'm on a roll!

Also, I just used this Z50/16-50 combo at my daughter's wedding to go around and shoot candids and tables after the pro left (she didn't mind if I shot while she did, but I thought it would have been tacky since everyone knew my prior pursuits). I used a little neoprene wrist strap with connectors meant for small cameras. Also an SB-300 with a diffuser dome (instead of sb-400 or larger 600-900 flashes) and it was perfect, just enough to add a little sparkle to eyes and the z50 took care of the rest while I didn't stand out as a wannabe wedding shooter.

I bought the 50-250 lens and ftz also 50 1.8s at the same time to take advantage of all the deals. While the 50-250 is capable as a daylight lens, the 50 1.8s is just an amazing lens. I plan on going deeper into the native Z lenses after I see what's next in bodies, but this little z50 jewel and FX that I haven't yet parted with will carry me through the only two remaining paid gigs I do this summer.

Real Name
Randy
Early on most of what I shot was pics of my kids, my wife really didn't want them online. Or it was work and most of that was B'nai Mitzvahs and if my wife didn't want our kids on the net, I really didn't feel I should post other's kids.

I should go through and post some of what I've been shooting in the theme threads even though it's not Nikon.

Anyway, so far so good with the Z? I can't image image quality is an issue, find any show stopping handling issues?
yes, shooting thru the VF is not a pleasant experience

When I take a shot (in MP) there is a short black out thru the VF after the shot, what's that ?
The mechanical shutter has to close, cutting off the EVF image.
Then the shot is fired.
The mechanical shutter is closed at the end of the shot, and then has to open to give you the EVF image again.
I think this is what you are seeing.

This is for an Olympus, but it shows how the mechanical shutter works on a mirrorless camera.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rob+trek+mechanical+shutter+youtuve&view=detail&mid=0E822EDD52B3DE7964A70E822EDD52B3DE7964A7&FORM=VIRE

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Its a good question, this concept is called a Global shutter vs Rolling Shutter. In short you can see artifacts in the image if you don't use a regular shutter on a mirrorless camera. The only camera I have heard of that doesn't do this is the Sony A9 (mark I & II) that proclaims a NO black out (and it is true I have tried - it no black out)

The sensor that can do this without a regualr mechanical - a so called global shutter is not quite here yet....

also this article is useful https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Question. Why do we need a mechanical shutter in a mirrorless camera? Why can't data collection from the sensor be turned on and off relative to the shutter speed?

Last edited:
Real Name
David
yes, shooting thru the VF is not a pleasant experience
For what you plan on using the Z50 for, do you frame before bringing the camera to your eye or frame with the camera to your eye? Framing and tracking through the VF is a must for action, motion, and events. But most of what I shot now it's not and it's about 50/50 shooting from the EVF and LCD. I find I'm actually taking more time now to think about framing than I use to. And using the LCD I also tend to shoot at different angles more often then I use to (and knees don't mind as much when I do).

It's a big departure from using an SLR. I may have had an advantage when I got into mirrorless, my first two bodies didn't have EVFs.

Real Name
Randy
this is the thing I'm most curious about, not having a real VF. Maybe after you've had the camera for a bit you can expand on your feelings for the EFV?
OVF vs EVF
it's a show stopper for me....maybe if I didn't still shoot DSLRs
as much as I appreciate seeing the way the computer sees it I prefer seeing just what's there and I gotta have instant everything, I'm hopelessly hooked on my D5

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
OVF vs EVF
it's a show stopper for me....maybe if I didn't still shoot DSLRs
as much as I appreciate seeing the way the computer sees it I prefer seeing just what's there and I gotta have instant everything, I'm hopelessly hooked on my D5
Bless you! I agree with your assessment of the D5. But - for you- the Z50 is not intended to be used like your D5.

So for a lightweight camera set up for casual travel photos, etc....... does the Z50 make you want to keep your cell phone in your pocket?????????????????????????? ;)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom