My 1st mirrorless camera

Real Name
Randy
Bless you! I agree with your assessment of the D5. But - for you- the Z50 is not intended to be used like your D5.

So for a lightweight camera set up for casual travel photos, etc....... does the Z50 make you want to keep your cell phone in your pocket?????????????????????????? ;)
My new 11 pro max cameras and 3 lenses are a better solution and I’ll stick with D500 + 16-80 for vacation

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
You know if you have it you should try a little more so we can all learn from your experience, My Canon M5 takes really nice pictures and has lots of features, but there are a few things I really don't like with it, like the EVF (and the slow shutter response), but just like the Z50 it is super light and small and that is useful.

So you have a month right, keep it a little longer and try it out?

Real Name
Randy
You know if you have it you should try a little more so we can all learn from your experience, My Canon M5 takes really nice pictures and has lots of features, but there are a few things I really don't like with it, like the EVF (and the slow shutter response), but just like the Z50 it is super light and small and that is useful.

So you have a month right, keep it a little longer and try it out?
can't argue with IQ but the VF will never in a million years work for me, not shooting wildlife, which I didn't expect it to anyway or even walking around Rome taking family pics, I want to see what's there, I want instantaneous reaction to a moment. If I was shooting tripod LS with 20 min of setup this would be an amazing tool to help with exposure before you shoot. I'll be back and next time it will be for a travel LS body and the Z6 will be perfect. And then there's the nagging lens shortage. It's bad enough for z but throw in z dx and it's worse. The kit lens is no better than my new iPhone which is not bad at all. For me dx is for the crop so I'd look at the z50 as a body for more reach (even if it's not really more reach)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

this is HH with 300pf, what a small light combo with a reach of 450mm

Real Name
Randy
ok I'm gonna shoot it some more

so I gotta clean up the VF....picking up the camera to shoot fast and looking thru the VF is horrifying. It's either black or something other than what I'm pointing the camera at is visible. So I'm gonna turn off image review, what other options will help. If I don't see what I'm trying to find, at say 300mm, it's hard to find it (duh).

I have to admit IQ at that ISO with almost no PP is a surprise to me.

At least on the Z6 you can set image review for monitor on, which eliminates the EVF review. While looking through EVF you see the shutter open but its micro seconds. Setting shooting mode to Continuous High there is no blackout. FWIW

I have shot several Oly and Fuji M 4/3s since 2010, especially for vacation shots. I used the LCD mostly to frame and be a little less obtrusive for street shooting. It takes some getting used to but with the retractable LCD, you can fold it out like a Rollei waist finder setup.

Last edited:
Real Name
David
can't argue with IQ but the VF will never in a million years work for me, not shooting wildlife, which I didn't expect it to anyway or even walking around Rome taking family pics, I want to see what's there, I want instantaneous reaction to a moment. If I was shooting tripod LS with 20 min of setup this would be an amazing tool to help with exposure before you shoot. I'll be back and next time it will be for a travel LS body and the Z6 will be perfect. And then there's the nagging lens shortage. It's bad enough for z but throw in z dx and it's worse. The kit lens is no better than my new iPhone which is not bad at all. For me dx is for the crop so I'd look at the z50 as a body for more reach (even if it's not really more reach)View attachment 1653335

this is HH with 300pf, what a small light combo with a reach of 450mm
Definitely works with the 300PF.

so I gotta clean up the VF....picking up the camera to shoot fast and looking thru the VF is horrifying. It's either black or something other than what I'm pointing the camera at is visible. So I'm gonna turn off image review, what other options will help. If I don't see what I'm trying to find, at say 300mm, it's hard to find it (duh).

I have had image review on my Z6 turned off from day one.

OVF vs EVF
it's a show stopper for me....maybe if I didn't still shoot DSLRs...
Every time I re-visit the mirrorless question I still come away in the same place. I'm afraid it's either/or for me. Not that I can't own both. I currently shoot an A6000 once in a while. But if I carry both in a bag the DSLR is what will get used. Or my cell phone. I carried the A6000 on a non-photocentric trip to Europe in October and took more photos with my cell phone than I did with the camera.

Real Name
David
Every time I re-visit the mirrorless question I still come away in the same place. I'm afraid it's either/or for me. Not that I can't own both. I currently shoot an A6000 once in a while. But if I carry both in a bag the DSLR is what will get used. Or my cell phone. I carried the A6000 on a non-photocentric trip to Europe in October and took more photos with my cell phone than I did with the camera.
The only time I've carried both was for events. I'd take the mirrorless out to get my "details" shots of the reception hall or for pre - service reviews where silent mode was useful. But really "shooting" them like I would shot a pair of DSLRs never worked for me.

I thought EVF image review would be nice.
But in practice it messed up my ability to do follow on shots, so I turned it OFF. And simply shoot the EVF like an OVF.
It is easy enough to press the [play] button if I want to check images.

On my Olympus, I have the option to select a normal or fast EVF refresh. I use fast, as it handles fast moving subject better.
But it also uses more power.

Some people LOCK the EVF, so the viewing image is not switching between the back screen and the EVF.
So far, I have not found that to be an issue, for me.

In my SOP, I leave the camera powered ON, so that I don't lose time as the camera powers up.
Yes this is a battery drain on a mirrorless, but it works better for ME than constantly turning the camera on/off.
The Nikon power switch is in a MUCH better position than the the Olympus power switch (which is in a DUMB location).

Shooting with a LONG lens in any format, is a learning experience.
I shoot a long lens like a shotgun.
I look at the subject with the camera/lens lined up under my vision. Then I raise the camera.
90% of the time, I am on the subject or very close.
I don't know how long it took me to develop this ability, but I know I could not do it in my early years. It took practice.
Example, when I shoot soccer, I have the camera down, as I watch and figure where the kicked ball will come down. Then I raise the camera to get the shot of the player head butting or kicking the kicked shot. I know I could not do that shot 2 years ago.​
gud luk.

In my opinion, Z50 works best for people having Z6/7 and native Z lenses and wanting a smaller camera for travel or having funs around like me ;-). For example, pairing Z50 with Z 35mm 1.8S would be great (or future pancake 28mm)...
If haven't had my native Z lens setup, I would have looked at Fuji like XT-3 and the kit 18-55 2.8-4.0.
At this time, my Z6 is still the only camera that I'm having, after many years I had duo brands setup (Sony A7 series + Fuji).

Sorry you don't feel it good in your hands, Randy. You may give it little bit more time or try Z6 though.

Hi Randy, I’m in a similar situation and have been following this thread to see your feedback. Specifically, I’m torn between jumping into mirrorless with the Z50 or replacing my old D7000 with the D7500 + 16-80 2.8-4.0. In my mind, an attractive package is the Z50 + 16-80 (+ FTZ): although this would sacrifice the compactness of the Z50 + 16-50, it seems like the 16-80 would be a step up over the Z50 kit lens (although I acknowledge the kit lens has gotten great reviews; I’d still use it as a carry-in-my-pocket kit and put the 16-80 on when I want its longer reach and/or wider aperture).

So, here’s my questions: have you tried your 16-80 on the z50 and, if so, what are your impressions?

thank you!

Real Name
Randy
Hi Randy, I’m in a similar situation and have been following this thread to see your feedback. Specifically, I’m torn between jumping into mirrorless with the Z50 or replacing my old D7000 with the D7500 + 16-80 2.8-4.0. In my mind, an attractive package is the Z50 + 16-80 (+ FTZ): although this would sacrifice the compactness of the Z50 + 16-50, it seems like the 16-80 would be a step up over the Z50 kit lens (although I acknowledge the kit lens has gotten great reviews; I’d still use it as a carry-in-my-pocket kit and put the 16-80 on when I want its longer reach and/or wider aperture).

So, here’s my questions: have you tried your 16-80 on the z50 and, if so, what are your impressions?

thank you!
1st off the 16-80 is 10 steps up
I tried the 300pf but not the 16-80. Using the FTZ and a heavy lens on the Z50 seemed counter productive. But in the end the VF was a show stopper for me.

Real Name
Randy
In my opinion, Z50 works best for people having Z6/7 and native Z lenses and wanting a smaller camera for travel or having funs around like me ;-). For example, pairing Z50 with Z 35mm 1.8S would be great (or future pancake 28mm)...
If haven't had my native Z lens setup, I would have looked at Fuji like XT-3 and the kit 18-55 2.8-4.0.
At this time, my Z6 is still the only camera that I'm having, after many years I had duo brands setup (Sony A7 series + Fuji).

Sorry you don't feel it good in your hands, Randy. You may give it little bit more time or try Z6 though.
thanks
I am considering a Z6, have been for some time

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom