My 1st mirrorless camera

1st off the 16-80 is 10 steps up
I tried the 300pf but not the 16-80. Using the FTZ and a heavy lens on the Z50 seemed counter productive. But in the end the VF was a show stopper for me.
Thanks Randy for your quick reply. I suspected the 16-80 + FTZ would seem unbalanced on the Z50 (although a YouTuber reviewed the Z50 + the Sigma 17-70 (similar in size and weight to the 16-80) and he really like them together. Just not sure the benefits (size, weight, better AF, supposedly the VF, etc) of the Z50 kit + FTZ + a gently-used 16-80 are superior to the D7500 +16-80 when factoring in the cost (the Z50 scenario costs about $500.

I guess it comes down to my own preferences; I’ll need to try both options out.

thanks again

All YouTubers are not created equal. Most are not worth the electrons they displace. Naming names would help.
Good point. I don’t know if he’s credible or not, but the YouTuber is Bob Myers @ AVP Studios. Here’s the video:

Real Name
Randy
Thanks Randy for your quick reply. I suspected the 16-80 + FTZ would seem unbalanced on the Z50 (although a YouTuber reviewed the Z50 + the Sigma 17-70 (similar in size and weight to the 16-80) and he really like them together. Just not sure the benefits (size, weight, better AF, supposedly the VF, etc) of the Z50 kit + FTZ + a gently-used 16-80 are superior to the D7500 +16-80 when factoring in the cost (the Z50 scenario costs about $500.

thanks again
i'd get a used d7200 to replace a d7k

Real Name
Randy

thanks again
the 300pf felt good on the Z50, fyi, so I'm sure the 16-80 would

thanks again
The D500, D7500, and Z50 all look to have similar performing sensors so that's a wash. The D500 has pretty much class leading tracking, the D7500 is a bit smaller and lighter and the Z50 is similar in same size to a D3200. The Z50 gives you true silent shooting, an EVF w/ live histogram, enlarged view, eye/face tracking and access to S level lenses as well as full compatibility with G lenses through the FTZ.

Depending on how and what you shoot, the features that differentiate the three models are going to be more or less important.

The D500, D7500, and Z50 all look to have similar performing sensors so that's a wash. The D500 has pretty much class leading tracking, the D7500 is a bit smaller and lighter and the Z50 is similar in same size to a D3200. The Z50 gives you true silent shooting, an EVF w/ live histogram, enlarged view, eye/face tracking and access to S level lenses as well as full compatibility with G lenses through the FTZ.

Depending on how and what you shoot, the features that differentiate the three models are going to be more or less important.
Stop making sense. Party pooper.

Stop making sense. Party pooper.
I've been thinking of growing my hair out (or shaving it, not sure which direction to go), wear loud clothes and make some U-Tube videos with either a cluttered background or run-and-cut street shots screaming about how insulted I am that these camera companies are DOING THIS TO ME. But alas, I suspect that irony is lost on the internet these days . . .

I've been thinking of growing my hair out (or shaving it, not sure which direction to go), wear loud clothes and make some U-Tube videos with either a cluttered background or run-and-cut street shots screaming about how insulted I am that these camera companies are DOING THIS TO ME. But alas, I suspect that irony is lost on the internet these days . . .
Don't forget the tattoos and dangling earrings.

These days irony is a bit like grammar, spelling and punctuation: quaint at best.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm definitely leaning towards the Z50 + 16-80. The lower-cost D7500 option is tempting, but mirrorless certainly appears to be the future, so I might as well get on that train now. I may be saying hello to Yellow.

thanks
I am considering a Z6, have been for some time
I think I mentioned early-on that I was surprised you didn't go with the Z6 as a start..... I am not surprised that you are disappointed with the Z50, which is an entry-level camera and as we all know, you are anything but an entry-level photographer! Actually.....you probably actually should start with the Z7, which would conform more to many of the standards to which you are already accustomed.

Real Name
Randy
I'm confused, Randy, why you're interested in a Z6. The view finder on the Z50 was the deal breaker for you. The same view finder is on the Z6 (and Z7).
me to, as soon as soccer and birds start again this mirrorless talk will drift away to return another winter when there's nothing to shoot :)
I think I mentioned early-on that I was surprised you didn't go with the Z6 as a start..... I am not surprised that you are disappointed with the Z50, which is an entry-level camera and as we all know, you are anything but an entry-level photographer! Actually.....you probably actually should start with the Z7, which would conform more to many of the standards to which you are already accustomed.
I don't want the MP-s that come with the Z7. And Mike has me thinking again anyway. I need to drive to Florida and get thinking about something else

Real Name
Randy
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm definitely leaning towards the Z50 + 16-80. The lower-cost D7500 option is tempting, but mirrorless certainly appears to be the future, so I might as well get on that train now. I may be saying hello to Yellow.
I will say the Yellow team takes em back easy and sends you a prepaid label fast.

Randy. Glad you started this thread as it confirms my own suspicions that I would not take to the format. As soon as I saw the lenses being developed were neither smaller, lighter nor cheaper I lost interest, as good and all as they appear to be. I just can't imagine how the weight distribution is remotely comfortable particularly with a bigger lens.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom