My 1st mirrorless camera

Real Name
Randy
I couldn't pass up Nikon's 'yellow' program where you get 30 days to try. I got a Z50 with the 16-50 as I'm mostly interested in IQ and size in that order so if it ties my D500 + 16-80 it will be a substantial drop in size.

Anybody else taking the plunge ?

Real Name
Chris
Congratulations Randy. I’ve heard good things. I’m definitely happy with the other Z series cameras and EXTREMELY happy with the lenses. The S line is without a doubt the best professional level lenses I have used.

Real Name
Randy
I've read the 16-50 is a good lens, time will tell. My uses are not too tough but I'd still like to know what it can do. I won't expect much from AF so I'll be ok there

Real Name
Chris
I honestly think the AF will perform better than you expect.. atleast I hope it does for you. I’ve found it’s more than adequate especially with native lenses if used correctly

Great, welcome to mirrorless world, Randy. I moved to mirrorless (Sony A7II) from my Nikon D600 many years ago (~6 years) and I haven't got back to DSLR since then. But I do not photograp sports or BIF ;-).
I will add Z50 and 16-50 to my Z6 system very soon. I really want this tiny camera. I love Z6 so I don't have any reasons to hate Z50. I love my Z6 much more than I did with Sony A7R3 before. Z50 is the tiny brother of Z6. Nikon are making great Z lenses!!!

Real Name
Randy
I honestly think the AF will perform better than you expect.. atleast I hope it does for you. I’ve found it’s more than adequate especially with native lenses if used correctly
I only mentioned it because t pops up in so many reviews and discussions. I won't be using it for anything that moves, I will need It to well in low light but then it's more DR than AF. I'm excited to try something new and fun. I've been shooting with big stuff for a long time

Real Name
Randy
Great, welcome to mirrorless world, Randy. I moved to mirrorless (Sony A7II) from my Nikon D600 many years ago (~6 years) and I haven't got back to DSLR since then. But I do not photograp sports or BIF ;-).
I will add Z50 and 16-50 to my Z6 system very soon. I really want this tiny camera. I love Z6 so I don't have any reasons to hate Z50. I love my Z6 much more than I did with Sony A7R3 before. Z50 is the tiny brother of Z6. Nikon are making great Z lenses!!!
good to know
so far everything says the Z50 is another Nikon winner.....a 30 day free trial says a lot

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I find handling really small cameras awkward....and I don't even have large hands! I'll be interested how you like the ergonomics.

Real Name
Chris
I only mentioned it because t pops up in so many reviews and discussions. I won't be using it for anything that moves, I will need It to well in low light but then it's more DR than AF. I'm excited to try something new and fun. I've been shooting with big stuff for a long time
Just remember that it has a specific mode for extremely low light focus. So if you struggle with AF in a low light situation then you can enable that function and it will help

I would've thought that the Z6 or even the Z7 would have been more to your liking, Randy..... I suspect that the Z50 is limited in some ways which then might give you the wrong impression of mirrorless cameras in general. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what you think once you've got the camera and lens and have had a chance to use the new setup!

Congratulations!

I did very seriously consider buying the Z50 when there was a 19% discount end of decade sale. I purchased a Fuji X-T3 instead. I decided to wait and see if Nikon announces another APS-C mirrorless body hopefully with IBIS and articulating screen. I have a Z7, but haven't used it a lot. Once my current preferred genre's quiet down a bit I'm hoping to do some landscapes/seascapes with the Z7.

I look forward to reading your impressions when you've had a chance to use it in the field.

Real Name
Randy
my kit arrives tomorrow so I'll test it Saturday in the backyard on the bluebirds even though that's not what I bought it for. I'm very interested in how the 16-50 performs since that's what I'm getting it for. With the adaptor and the 16-80 on the Z50 I wonder how it will feel compared to the D500 + 16-80

Real Name
Randy
the battery is charging. I put the lens on for the feel and the grip is amazing. The Z50 feels great to hold and the 4oz lens is like not there. The body feels solid. More to come

Latest threads

Top Bottom