My 1st outing with the 400VR

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Randy, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    D300 + 400vr all at f2.8, iso200, ev=0 for the boys game and -.3 for the girls game.
    It's hard to believe a lens can be this good but then it's also hard to be what it sells for. I have had this thing for 15days but had to wait for the RRS head/clamp so I could properly hold it. The Gitzo 3551 and MH01 head with BP-ProII clamp did a great job. If you shoot a heavy lens consider this new head from RRS. I can let go of the lens/camera with the clamp loose and it will not move.

The boys game was at 4:30 and was U13
    The girls game was at 12pm and was U17.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. All I can say is WOW. Making it really tough for me right now Randy. Luckily I have been putting off finding a used one for now. Although seeing these I am impressed. Then again, my 300 is treating me pretty well.

3. Wow Randy, you're off to the races with this fine piece of glass!

4. Excellent stuff great glass great photog equals great shots

5. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    solid solid shots randy. Looks like you had to deal with the same light I did this morning shooting my daughters game!

6. Great Randy. Absolutely love the focus & thin DOF Whew!

mike

7. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Randy I usually like to look at all pics, and choose my favorites. An impossible task here. Every single shot is outstanding. Color, sharpness, composition, timing...
    To quote another poster..."Wow!"

Don't give too much credit to the lens/camera combo. While potent, it's more of an example of what great tools can accomplish in the right hands!

8. Marcos

Marcos

Nov 20, 2005
    FL, USA.
    Very Nice!!

Wonderful Randy!!

9. Jeff very true, Randy has been posting amazing images without the 400. Although it is amazing what one can do with it. Hopefully I'll be able to try one soon, just to see the difference.

10. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Top notch series Randy. Sounds like youre really liking that rrs Tilt head too.

11. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    I'll sum it up by saying I agree with what everyone else said. :biggrin:

12. Randy...
    so THIS was the thread that was SUPPOSED to help me NOT spend $10,000.00 for the lens and new tripod, new monopod, new heads, clamps, and whatnot? :tongue:

I THINK NOT........:biggrin:
    wow..... :smile:
    i almost didn't click on this thread
    still not sure i should have :redface:

freakin' awesome, my friend
    i can't wait to see what you'll do with this combo NEXT time

in the end....
    YOUR skill and THIS hunk of glass.... a "can't miss" combination

13. wow, even on my laptop those are spectacular, can't believe you were able to hold off shooting it for 2 weeks!

14. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Wow, great shots Randy, I love #2.

15. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Can someone explain and show me images of this tilt head your talking about? Randy are you not just using a monopod?

16. yes....
    monopod
    here's the head

[​IMG]

17. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    so what does this allow you to do? I am assuming it keeps the poll still while the top part moves up and down, side to side?