My $2000 D100

Hard to believe they were that much. Here is a link.

I really get a kick out of this line.
"It's still pretty amazing to think that you can now pick up a six megapixel D-SLR for around $2,000."

I paid $130 total with shipping used.

That's $2448 today using this calculator.

I'm looking forward to ten years from now when I look at my garage sale D3s body and wish I had the money to upgrade to the D9x ;)

From the review´s conclusions:

So here we are, in 2002 with no less than four new high resolution digital SLR's, the first three of which are now making their way into end users hands. The most amazing thing is that we're looking at six megapixel digital SLR's at or around the US$2,000 mark. Pretty stunning when you consider Kodak were selling six megapixel D-SLR's for $16,000 as recently as August 2000.
:tongue:

Sometimes I'm tempted to get an older body like this just for fun. Wouldn't even mind it being really beat up, I like a body with history. Although the D100 and D1 look sort of awkward for me. Even with the D2 series, it's amazing how much they've fallen in price.

My D100 is like new. There isn't a nick or scratch anywhere. I would take good care of it if i paid $2000 for it!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I see them go quite often for under $200.

I have been looking around for a second body to supplement my D7K. I actually want a CCD instead of a Cmos. I really like the low ISO coor of a CCD. I just don't want to spend money on a body that might die on me quickly.

As of tonight I've taken 2643 shots with my D100.
With what I paid that's about 1/2 cent a shot and it
has a lot of life left in it. :smile:

For a little extra I think I'd get a D70/D70S instead. Unless you need the grip of the D100, the D70/D70S has the better buffer, sharper jpegs and 1/500th flash sync. It's a very useable setup. The D100 is tad dated.

Mad Hatter, lazeeb0i, y'all will LOVE the D1 series if you ever give them a try - fantastic $5000 cameras for $200 - $300 , and GREAT photos up to 11X14....oddly, the D1H is my favorite "portrait" camera as opposed to all my newer and expensive stuff.....just buy lotz of batteries - ha -

For $130 I got a smokin deal and I dare anyone to even find a mark anywhere on it. I really think someone bought this and put it in the closet and never used it. I wish there was a way to tell total shots but there isn't.

The D100 is very dated and I think it adds to it's charm. :biggrin:

2f5eb70b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

6e7c2332.jpg

80b9ed8d.jpg

7536d15f.jpg

fcee8404.jpg

1380b553.jpg

Sometimes I'm tempted to get an older body like this just for fun. Wouldn't even mind it being really beat up, I like a body with history. Although the D100 and D1 look sort of awkward for me. Even with the D2 series, it's amazing how much they've fallen in price.

I did that during the last three years....picked up a D1H as a backup sports camera and a D1X as a backup general purpose camera, and both are a pleasure to use and produce beautiful shots. Both are in at least EX-EX+ condition, and my combined price was between five and six hundred dollars. In 2002 the pair would have cost between nine and ten THOUSAND dollars. Cameras like these are some of the best bargains in photography in my opinion.

Here's the D1X:

original.jpg

original.jpg

And the D1H:

original.jpg

Beautiful, aren't they? And they feel as good in the hand as they look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom