My 2006 trip to Yellowstone / Grand Tetons

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Kevinlee, Jul 26, 2007.

1. At the end of September I took my brother and father through South Dakota, Wyoming and southern Montana. The first stop was Badlands national park. While I have been to Badlands a few times, they had never seen a landscape like it before. It was quite chilly and windy but one thing that caught their attention was the previous 200 miles, we kept seeing the same advertisement for Wall Drug. After passing through Badlands we just had to stop and see it.

After Wall Drug we headed towards Devils Tower. Although the weather was ugly, misty, foggy and dreary it was cool to see.

Next we were headed toward Sheridan WY for a good night sleep. After we left Devils Tower, the sun started to peak and eventually cleared out. And let me tell ya, from Devils Tower to Sheridan, there is nothing out there at night. Just before getting to Sheridan, we stopped to see the stars are were entertained with greenish tint of the Northern Lights.

The next morning we headed through the Bighorn mountains on the north side. Beautiful snow on top was very cool to see and seen some deer...

View attachment 108042 well as some colorful aspens.

View attachment 108043

My father took in the beauty and marveled.

View attachment 108044

From the western edge of the Bighorns we could see the Absaroka/Beartooth mountain ranges off in the distance. What a sight!

View attachment 108045

We finally made it to Cody, filled up with gasoline and headed towards Cooke City MT via the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway. This is a very very nice road to travel and offers some spectacular views.

View attachment 108046

View attachment 108047

Then we entered Montana and things became interesting!

View attachment 108048

View attachment 108049

View attachment 108050

I couldnt get my finger off the shutter button!

Once we got to Cooke City, we checked into our cabin and took a short drive to the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone NP for the sunset.

View attachment 108051

View attachment 108052

After a nice cool night of rest we woke up early and headed to Gardner Montana via Northern Yellowstone.

There were bison everywhere!

View attachment 108053

View attachment 108054

View attachment 108055

Once we arrived at Mammoth Hot Springs.. of course you could hear the elk ruttin.

View attachment 108056

Then along the road to Gardiner, we spotted big horn sheep.

View attachment 108057

Had a bite to eat at a restaurant near the enterance to Yellowstone and had a nice view of Electric peak.

View attachment 108058

On the way back... more Bison!

View attachment 108059

View attachment 108060

View attachment 108061

View attachment 108062

Coming tomorrow... part 2 - Beartooth Mountains
  2. Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    These are great, thanks for sharing. I've really got to go to yellowstone one of these days. You're pictures make me even more sure of that. :smile:
  3. Nice series of photos. I've been to Yellowstone once about three years ago. I'm returning this September for a two week trip. Your photos make me more anxious for the trip!
  4. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice series
  5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Wonderful. I love the commentary. Your photos are very nice.
  6. Nice series Kevin. I'm looking forward to the next batch.
  7. LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Wonderful images.. I've been in the same areas on a trip in 2001, although I just had a Kodak P&S at the time. No pictures worth seeing, like yours. Thanks for sharing!
  8. I really like the commentary on your series of pictures. The image of your Dad is outstanding. Thanks for sharing.
  9. platano

platano Guest

that pic of your dad (#4) looks bad ***.. good job
  10. Bob Mohr

Bob Mohr

Oct 20, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    These are great. I really like wildlife photos.
  11. sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    No pictures of Wall Drug?