My 28mm 1.4 is at LAX

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Ottrott's Human, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Just landed Stateside from Australia. It still has to go cross country to land on my doorstep, but I'm getting excited!!:biggrin:

2. Logan

Logan Guest

Stu! you dogg! i have a feeling you are going to make GREAT use of this lens! and to think just a year ago you didnt even have a DSLR!

3. Oooh, I bet you are pacing the floor in anticipation of the arrival of the legendary LIGHT MAGNET!! LOL!! Kudos to you!!

4. Hey, I'm right near LA, I'll just go "pick it up" for you and deliver it in person! :biggrin: :wink:

5. ROTFL!!! I nearly lost my coffee when I read this!! I can be there in 4 hours. Let's test it!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

6. Test it, who said anything about testing it??? :biggrin: :wink: Stu doesn't need it to make better pics... he's good enough, I on the other hand can only become more expert with better lenses. No, seriously, Stu, great choice of lenses, ever since I've heard of these legends, I've been curious about seeing one. Congratualtions and show some of the results. :smile:

7. This combo could get very interesting!

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Stuart :

Heh. Did you order that one that was here in the Café a couple of weeks back (Sales Thread) ?

Well, if it's anything like my copy of the lens, you're in for a special treat. There's almost nothing in the Nikon line like the 28mm f/1.4, except perhaps the Noct, and that's a MF lens. IMNSHO, the 28mm f1/.4 and the Noct are very close to the Leica Noctilux in what they deliver, and the Noctilux is a legendary lens by the standards of any camera line.

Like I said, you're in for a treat !!!

I'll be looking forward to your photos with this lens.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    :biggrin:

Well....not pacing exactly, but definitely looking forward to getting it in my hands. It's still showing as being processed in LA so I guess it gonna be next week before it arrives. Too bad 'cause I have 4 days off in a row this week/weekend.:wink:

Oh....you woudn't mind? How nice of you to offer!:biggrin:

I just had this vision of you and Shaun in ninja attire scaling the barbed wire fence around LAX!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:biggrin: Thanks Shaun. I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. Should make an interesting combination for low, natural light portraits. We'll see.....I'll certainly be posting some shots as soon as possible.
    Stay Tuned.......:smile:

Man....I sure hope so!!!

Yep....that's the one. I had to go back 4 pages or so in the FS forum to find it. Fortunately Simon still had it.....the price was relatively reasonable so I was kind of surprised.

Man.....if it's *anything* like the Noctilux I'll be flipping out. Okay.....*now* I'm pacing the floor in expectation. My first time with a few days off from work in 5 years and I'm almost ready for the weekend to be over.:rolleyes: :smile:
    Thanks John.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Stuart :

< long evil chuckle >
    :370: ​

Well, would you have preferred that I told you the lens was a dog, had an overrated reputation, and wasn't worth the price ? :eek: :rolleyes:

And anyway, I did preface the comment comparing it with the Noctilux with IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion), and we all know that my knowledge level on lenses isn't so good, eh ? :tongue:

Put your feet up this weekend, relax, have a good stiff drink (or two), because you'll likely be playing with the lens a lot once it arrives next week. This is just like resting before a marathon.

Like I said, I'll be looking forward to your photos with this lens, especially some of the modelling stints that you and Woody V. get up to (and I'll be keenly interested in what he thinks of the lens as well...).

John P.

P.S. Have a look at a couple of Ron Renzick's galleries (Gallery One and Gallery Two) and you'll find some interesting and evocative shots that he took with the lens. Sensei Ron's photos, commentary and personal suggestions are a large part of the reason that I purchased the 28mm f/1.4 . And I've not once regretted listening to him... :wink:

11. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    You're a bad, bad man John!:biggrin: But no......I don't want to hear it's overhyped and overpriced that's for sure. I took this leap of faith based on hearing nothing but raves....well......except from Bjørn who doesn't seem overly impressed.

Thanks for the links. I know who Ron is, but hadn't been to his site before. Lots of *great* stuff there. Bookmarked!

12. Some 28mm1.4 samples....just in!!!

I just got in from shooting some pics of maundy (Holy) Thursday, a religious observance amonst Catholics & other Christian denominations.

I used the Fuji S3 & the Nikon AFD 28mm f1.4, all handheld in abyssmally dim conditions, no flash, all straight out of camera, taken just a couple of hours ago:

View attachment 88556

View attachment 88557

View attachment 88558

View attachment 88559

More here:
    http://www.pbase.com/classic_man/maundy_holy_thursday_2007

Enjoy your new tool :smile: ....it's simply great.
    (thanks to NB23 & others for encouraging me to get this lens)

13. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Stuart :

Bjørn's, of course, entitled to his own opinion. I'd note that he ranked it a "4", which is no small accomplishment for a lens with Bjørn... :wink: Quite seriously, I've read Bjørn's work for some time, corresponded with him a little, and I very much respect his opinion. I've had different results than Bjørn, but then, I'm simply not a photographer in his class, so my comments on the 28mm f/1.4 are my opinion. :eek:

Ron Reznick's a great guy. I don't call him Sensei Ron for nothing - he's every bit as exacting a teacher as I ever had in a dojo, and he's very much a master of his Art. Ron's also the guy who helped me make a quantum leap upward in my photography, so I have a very great deal of respect for his being able to get the concepts through my thick head !

If you ever get the chance for a training session with Ron, take it.

As for me being a "bad bad man", you say that like there's something wrong with it ! :rolleyes:

John P.

14. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    CM :

That second shot's just wonderful...

John P.

15. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    CM, It's shots like these that convinced me to spend the money. Thanks for posting them! Agree with John....#2 is Mucho Bueno.

16. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Stuart :

Judging from the feedback thread in the For Sale sub-forum, the lens has arrived, eh ?

Woo-hoo !!! Let the festivities commence !!! :biggrin:

John P.

17. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Yep......sitting attached to my Xs right here by the computer. Now I just need a bit of time to shoot! ;-) Hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for caring John!:wink:

18. I hope you hate it... :tongue:

19. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

20. Glad you enjoyed the images I posted earlier.

Make sure you post some pix with your lens when you find (or make:tongue: ) the time....