1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My 35mm macro lens

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jez, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    I didn't have my Sigma 150 with me at the weekend when I visited my parents so I had to make do with the lovely little Nikon 35/2. I reckon it did a pretty good job....taken with the D300 and processed natively in Aperture (no Photoshop, no plug-ins).

362059032_NBPk3-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

362059719_mLCXm-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking!

2. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    I .... dig it!

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice stuff Jez. The 35/2 is next on my 'unending list of optical lust' because I feel it to be a good balance of DX normal lens and semi-macro.

Thanks for sharing these.

4. #1 is really beautiful (2 is as well, but 1 is spectacular!).

5. Very, very nice work! Can't pick a favorite.

6. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Thank you - I dig the D300 as well!

7. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Thanks Robert - I really love that 35/2. I find that focal length really suits me on DX. I have the Sigma 30/1.4 as well which I find has a bit more "character" for people shots, but I can't get over the size difference between the two.

Sounds like you have a similarly unending list to me.... :wink:

8. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Thank you Rich - although I guess a lot of credit goes to my dad for growing them in the first place. There's a very good reason why I don't take any photos in my own garden... :wink:

9. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Thank you Steven - I'm torn between the two as well!

10. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    nice pictures Jez

I also use my 35/2 as my "macro"
    does a very fine job, IMO

11. Very good, especially the 1st.

I found that I use the 20/3.5 for close-ups more and more, mostly in combination with the K1 ring. Would be interesting how the 35/2 behaves with this slim extension ring.

Cheers

12. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    I'm gonna try a PK-13 on my 35/2, when it comes with my 55 3.5

13. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Thanks Frank - it makes a pleasant change to be able to hand hold for these shots rather than crack open the tripod!

14. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Thanks Harry,

I bought a set of Kenko extension tubes a little while ago but haven't had a chance to use them yet. I must remember to take them with me next time.... :smile:

15. But be careful when using tubes on a WA lens! You can only use very short tubes (like the K1) because the focus point might be right in front of the front element or even shift inside the lens when using longer ones.

Cheers

16. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Thanks Harry - this is uncharted territory for me so it should be interesting!

17. Both are great shots. The 35mm f2 is a good lens. I use it mostly to shoot landscapes but my attempts to macro with it have also been successful.
    By the way, since I have the 24mm f2.8 my tendency have been to use it more than the 35mm focal length.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

18. Well Jez, photo opps can abound in your own garden if you plant them! They are immediately accessible and allow for some interesting studies that can't be done elswehere (see my lily study thread for example....)

19. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Thanks William - I have to admit that the wider focal lengths intrigue me for this kind of work so you might well have stoked the lens lust flames again.... :wink:

20. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    My dad's a great gardener so I take full advantage of his efforts. I find that planting them is the easy bit - it's the maintenance and care that takes the time!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.