My 3rd Wedding...

Hi there. I just did my 3rd wedding this past Friday and wanted to post a few pics for some feedback. From each of my previous weddings I tried to learn from my mistakes and make the next shoot better than the last. Needless to say I still have lots to learn!

300111%20%28Large%29.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 389336

View attachment 389337

View attachment 389338

View attachment 389339

View attachment 389340

View attachment 389341

View attachment 389342

Thanks for looking!

Just me... but nix the selective coloring thing. It was great in the 80s and 90s, just not the thing these days.

Love the pics though, amazing job for your 3rd wedding.

I kind of agree about the selective colour thing. I always thought it was kind of neat but all the reading on forums I've done indicates just what you said, that it's totally out of style....
Thanks again for the comments!

Overall a great set. But I too am not a fan of the selective color. And I would pull back some on the post on #1, her dress looks like cake fondant.

From each of my previous weddings I tried to learn from my mistakes and make the next shoot better than the last.

You're a fast learner, Steve. These are terrific!

Selective color always gets boos on the forum, but the clients LOVE it. Honestly, they think it's magic. So continue to do it, and expect to take a few punches when you post them here. My only problem with this one, which is really selective reduced saturation, is your execution. Whassup with the yellow smear on the head of the gal in the left foreground? And did you mean to leave the hallway at the rear and the reflection in on the mirror at full saturation? Hmmm, the mirror isn't a bad idea.

0613%20%28Large%29.png

Selective color always gets boos on the forum, but the clients LOVE it. Honestly, they think it's magic. So continue to do it, and expect to take a few punches when you post them here.

It's an old trick, Frank. Overused and overrated. Times are-a-changin.....and there are several other ways to WOW clients. Photographers must take risks and try to come up with new things. :smile:

It's an old trick, Frank. Overused and overrated. Times are-a-changin.....

There's no need to be a one-trick-pony, Francis. Do your new things, and throw in a few classics, too. Bottom line, I shoot for the bride (and for print orders), not for fellow photographers, and my clients love stuff like this.

553816064_FKZp9-O.jpg

there are several other ways to WOW clients. Photographers must take risks and try to come up with new things. :smile:

I'm always eager to learn new techniques, Francis. How about a link?

There's no need to be a one-trick-pony, Francis. Do your new things, and throw in a few classics, too. Bottom line, I shoot for the bride (and for print orders), not for fellow photographers, and my clients love stuff like this.

553816064_FKZp9-O.jpg

I'm always eager to learn new techniques, Francis. How about a link?

I am a total advocate against being a one trick pony, Frank. Everyone should know that by now :wink:. To me, the selective color is a one trick pony show. It makes images look really flat. And it's often done to make up for something that is lacking in the image. I prefer to wow them with more interesting compositions, angles and risky shots that can't be done in post processing. They have to be done during the moment. I understand that we work for brides and grooms, but at the same time, they hire us because of the kinds of images we produce, not the kind that they want us to produce. At least that is how I feel about it. Because if we did everything the way others wanted us to, we wouldn't develop any personal style that sets us apart from the next photographer.

And I can't really provide a link, some things can't really be taught or shown through a link....they just have to be done. :smile:

To me, the selective color is a one trick pony show.

No, Francis, it one trick of many in my pony show. If you don't care for the technique, I won't include it in your wedding package, but please excuse me if I do include it in the gallery of those who might like it. And remember, most of them are seeing the technique for the first time, so they're charmed just like you were a few years ago.

It makes images look really flat. And it's often done to make up for something that is lacking in the image.

Well darnit. I thought my example looked pretty good... even 3D. I guess I fooled a lot of people, cause I got a POTD and a lot of orders for prints.

And I can't really provide a link, some things can't really be taught or shown through a link....they just have to be done. :smile:

Congratulations, FJ. You just earned admission to the Big Hat, No Cattle Club. :tongue: Seriously, that was really patronizing. If you can't back up your claims with pictoral evidence, you shouldn't be patting yourself on the back.

Selective color always gets boos on the forum, but the clients LOVE it. Honestly, they think it's magic. So continue to do it, and expect to take a few punches when you post them here.

0613%20%28Large%29.png

Indeed, i am boared of doing it but do kind of use it as a trademark, always with a mirror reflection shot.

mirrortradeamrk.jpg

As Frank says, clients love them.
Keep up the good work

I had never seen selective color until I was on this board. Uncle Frank, your picture is very very good and I can see the bride and groom and others ordering that. I realize that if someone has been doing this for some time, it can become boring and perhaps thinking everyone has seen it and it is passe, but it was new to me and I like it. Simon, I like the mirror reflection.

Looking at the photos posted on this board, you all have lots of tricks and we novices try to learn from your examples. I can't imagine ever taking other than candid wedding pictures where I'm a guest, but these techniques can be used in other situations and give those of us who are growing in our hobby some ideas to work with.
Janet

Thanks for the comments and discussion guys, I really appreciate it! I figure if I can learn a little bit from each shoot, I can only get better over time. So again, thanks for everyone's comments.

Latest threads

Top Bottom